Re: Triton 400 sometimes locks up on power up

  • PieterL
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2009
      I got the following reply from Magellan Technical Support:

      "Thank you for contacting Magellan Technical Support. As I understand, your Triton 400 is frozen on the start up screen.
      For this matter, please try to remove the batteries of the unit for 5 seconds. After 5 seconds, put the batteries back in and turn the unit on. See if the same problem exist.
      We do hope that the previous steps provided will be able to resolve your issue. Please also try to update us on what happened after trying the steps that were given to you.
      Should you require further assistance about this or any other concerns with your Magellan unit please visit our website and review our extensive Self Help knowledge base (www.magellangps.com)."

      Not particularly helpful since my first and secon messages to them specfically said I had tried removing the batteries and replacing was the only way to get the unit to "boot up", and that had to be done each time before the unit is turned on.

      Still need help!
      Pieter

      --- In tritongps@yahoogroups.com, "pieter_litch" <pieter_litch@...> wrote:

      > I have a brand new Triton 400 with 256mb Magellan memory card.
      > The 400 was updated to version 1.78 with no issues
      > The unit passes the entire self test
      >
      > However, after running it for a while (normal behavior), I shut it off. Then when I turn it back on, it displays the last screen before shutdown (the "shutdown in 1 second") and freezes up. I have to remove the batteries and re-install them to force a "cold boot."
      >
      > At other times it will turn on and off nromally.
      > The behavior is the same regardless of battery condition or if the card is inserted or not.
      >
      > Any ideas?
      >
      > Thanks. Pieter

    • edosan_go
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 5, 2010
        Pieter,

        The problem cannot be fixed as recommended by Magellan Technical Support. There is a corrupt file(s) in the internal memory and you must replace it.

        Mike Tower

        --- In tritongps@yahoogroups.com, "PieterL" <pieter_litch@...> wrote:

        > I got the following reply from Magellan Technical Support:
        >
        > "Thank you for contacting Magellan Technical Support. As I understand, your Triton 400 is frozen on the start up screen.
        > For this matter, please try to remove the batteries of the unit for 5 seconds. After 5 seconds, put the batteries back in and turn the unit on. See if the same problem exist.
        > We do hope that the previous steps provided will be able to resolve your issue. Please also try to update us on what happened after trying the steps that were given to you.
        > Should you require further assistance about this or any other concerns with your Magellan unit please visit our website and review our extensive Self Help knowledge base (www.magellangps.com)."
        >
        > Not particularly helpful since my first and secon messages to them specfically said I had tried removing the batteries and replacing was the only way to get the unit to "boot up", and that had to be done each time before the unit is turned on.
        >
        > Still need help!
        > Pieter
        >

        > --- In tritongps@yahoogroups.com, "pieter_litch" <pieter_litch@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I have a brand new Triton 400 with 256mb Magellan memory card.
        > > The 400 was updated to version 1.78 with no issues
        > > The unit passes the entire self test
        > >
        > > However, after running it for a while (normal behavior), I shut it off. Then when I turn it back on, it displays the last screen before shutdown (the "shutdown in 1 second") and freezes up. I have to remove the batteries and re-install them to force a "cold boot."
        > >
        > > At other times it will turn on and off nromally.
        > > The behavior is the same regardless of battery condition or if the card is inserted or not.
        > >
        > > Any ideas?
        > >
        > > Thanks. Pieter

      • Pieter Litchfield
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 5, 2010

          Right you are, and thanks for the advice.  The post you responded to is now quite old, and I did fix the problem.  I found several posts regarding getting the Triton 400 into a file manager mode using a "secret keypress" sequence and then installing a known good image of the memory.  I have two 400s, and both had problems but could be put into file manager mode.  Now both are working  perfectly.  For those with corrupt file problems, this seems to be the best way to solve them providing your Triton will still go to file management mode.  There are a lot of posts and FAQ stuff about this solution on the list site.

          Pieter

          The problem cannot be fixed as recommended by Magellan Technical Support. There is a corrupt file(s) in the internal memory and you must replace it.

          Mike Tower

          --- In tritongps@yahoogroups.com, "PieterL" <pieter_litch@...> wrote:

          > I got the following reply from Magellan Technical Support:
          >
          > "Thank you for contacting Magellan Technical Support. As I
          understand, your Triton 400 is frozen on the start up screen.
          > For this matter, please try to remove the batteries of the unit for 5
          seconds. After 5 seconds, put the batteries back in and turn the unit on. See if the same problem exist.
          > We do hope that the previous steps provided will be able to resolve your
          issue. Please also try to update us on what happened after trying the steps that were given to you.
          > Should you require further assistance about this or any other concerns
          with your Magellan unit please visit our website and review our extensive Self Help knowledge base (www.magellangps.com)."

          > Not particularly helpful since my first and secon messages to them
          specfically said I had tried removing the batteries and replacing was the only way to get the unit to "boot up", and that had to be done each time before the unit is turned on.

          > Still need help!
          > Pieter
          >

          > --- In tritongps@yahoogroups.com,
          "pieter_litch" <pieter_litch@> wrote:

          > > I have a brand new Triton 400 with 256mb Magellan memory card.
          > > The 400 was updated to version 1.78 with no issues
          > > The unit passes the entire self test
          > >
          > > However, after running it for a while (normal behavior), I shut it
          off. Then when I turn it back on, it displays the last screen before shutdown (the "shutdown in 1 second") and freezes up. I have to remove the batteries and re-install them to force a "cold boot."

          > > At other times it will turn on and off nromally.
          > > The behavior is the same regardless of battery condition or if the
          card is inserted or not.

          > > Any ideas?
          > >
          > > Thanks. Pieter

        • edosan_go
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 5, 2010
            Hi Pieter,

            Happy that your units are fixed. However; the solution you have will not work if you lose the TOP MENU BAR. This bar is linked to the system identification and can only be repaired by reflashing the unit.

            In fact, if this information is destroyed you can no longer even download any firmware updates or connect to Vantage Point.

            Just thought that you and other members should be aware of this.

            MT