Vantage Point and Mapsend

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2009
      Hello all!

      I purchased the Triton 400 about a month or two ago after my
      Magellan Meridian Gold was stolen out of my car. I have the Mapsend
      Topo for the U.S.A. version 4.2 program still and I got very
      comfortable with it when I used it with my Meridian Gold. I am less
      than pleased with the NG Topo maps so I am not loading any more of
      them on my Triton. I really liked having topo information AND street
      names on my GPS but, as everyone already knows, there are very few
      street names on the NG Topo maps. I would prefer not to fork out any
      more money so I don't wanna buy the Mapsend Topo 3D program (which I
      have read can be converted and used in the Tritons).

      I went to https://www.magellangps.com/assets/demos/vantagepoint/vantagepoint800.
      asp and viewed the video on there showing all the cool features of
      using Vantage Point but...on the "Browse Maps" screen on the video it
      shows tons of maps. Mine only has the Default Background Map. Where do
      you get all the other maps they show in the video? Do you have to buy
      them all? All I REALLY want is my street names on my GPS. I can't seem
      to find a way to get anything else loaded on my Triton except the NG
      Topos. Can someone please help me before this thing learns how to fly
      and I find out how "impact resistant" it really is??

      Oh...and I downloaded the TritonRMP program but I have no clue what
      to do with it...where do I get maps to use on it? I miss my Meridian
      Gold!

      Bill
    • cwhlam2004
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2009
        First, an excellent tutorial can be found in
        <http://www.tritonforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1690>.

        So, my answer will be very brief. Get gMapMaker. Use it to download
        maps from Google Maps and build OziExplorer .map. Use TritonRMP to
        convert the OziExplorer map to Triton's rmp map. Load it into the
        Triton, and activate the map.

        Clement

        --- In tritongps@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <billscout@...> wrote:

        > Hello all!
        >
        > I purchased the Triton 400 about a month or two ago after my
        > Magellan Meridian Gold was stolen out of my car. I have the Mapsend
        > Topo for the U.S.A. version 4.2 program still and I got very
        > comfortable with it when I used it with my Meridian Gold. I am less
        > than pleased with the NG Topo maps so I am not loading any more of
        > them on my Triton. I really liked having topo information AND street
        > names on my GPS but, as everyone already knows, there are very few
        > street names on the NG Topo maps. I would prefer not to fork out any
        > more money so I don't wanna buy the Mapsend Topo 3D program (which I
        > have read can be converted and used in the Tritons).
        >
        > I went to
        https://www.magellangps.com/assets/demos/vantagepoint/vantagepoint800.
        > asp and viewed the video on there showing all the cool features of
        > using Vantage Point but...on the "Browse Maps" screen on the video it
        > shows tons of maps. Mine only has the Default Background Map. Where do
        > you get all the other maps they show in the video? Do you have to buy
        > them all? All I REALLY want is my street names on my GPS. I can't seem
        > to find a way to get anything else loaded on my Triton except the NG
        > Topos. Can someone please help me before this thing learns how to fly
        > and I find out how "impact resistant" it really is??
        >
        > Oh...and I downloaded the TritonRMP program but I have no clue what
        > to do with it...where do I get maps to use on it? I miss my Meridian
        > Gold!
        >
        > Bill

      • Eddyline Steve
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2009

          HI Bill.

          I miss my Mapsend pro as well. Cant use it with Vista so I went with the Triton 1500 and am very sorry.  Yes you can get roads, but you have to buy them by region from Magellan.  The have the Midwest and also the south east. (I travel for work), they were near $100 each.  I also picked up the Marine maps and I would NOT do that again.

          I could and will some go on about how shitty this Triton is, but I am too busy now to do so.  I will say that when the first one went blank on me, they sent me a new one, but none of my maps would work with it because they were installed on the other unit.  Big fat pain in my ars.  Now this 2nd unit has gone Dos on me and I will be making a phone call.  If I get Baboo in india one more time, I will loose it.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 5, 2009
            I loaded my rmp maps onto my triton, by starting the triton in "developer mode" while connected to the usb cable, then the triton looks like a drive named "tfat" copy your rmp file to the images folder, and your done, restart the triton, and select the detail map.  this avoids using any of the vantage point or topo programs

            --
            John Gleaton
            jongleaton@...