Re: [TdC] peggy glass

  • Marcia Ricks
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 29, 2004
      Tom,

      I read your message with great interest as my late father, William D. Williams, was a ham operator. Do you have any recollection of communicating with W3NIN (Washington, DC) during your time on Tristan?  If so, would you happen to have a log of your conversations with him? In his home based radio shack, my father used both the key and short-wave radio to talk with others around the world and I'm hoping you were one of them.  I'm interested in any info hemay have provided regarding his familial relationship to Tristan.

      Regards,
      Marcia Wms Ricks
      trying to contact peggy glass daughter of frank and clara , sister to albert, its been some forty years since i was on tristan as a radio operator (returned with advance party after volcano) i am wondering how things have evolved since then.given the time scale . regards to all Tom Morrison.

      This is the Tristan da Cunha list.
      To post to the list send messages to tristan-da-cunha@egroups.com
      To change your settings, receive a digest or un-subscribe, go to
      http://www.egroups.com/group/tristan-da-cunha/

      For information about Tristan da Cunha, please see the official Tristan web page at http://website.lineone.net/~sthelena/tristaninfo.htm

    • Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 29, 2004
        From: "Marcia Ricks" <msricks@...>
        Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 21:51:46 -0400

        Tom,

        I read your message with great interest as my late father, William
        D. Williams, was a ham operator. Do you have any recollection of
        communicating with= W3NIN (Washington, DC) during your time on
        Tristan? If so, would you happ= en to have a log of your
        conversations with him? In his home based radio sh= ack, my father
        used both the key and short-wave radio to talk with others a= round
        the world and I'm hoping you were one of them. I'm interested in
        any info he may have provided regarding his familial relationship
        to Tristan.

        Hi all,
        I'll just jump in here. I'm an amateur radio operator, and discovered
        this list in researching transport to and from Tristan da Cunha.

        I note that W3NIN is still listed on the FCC database, so obviously he
        died since the last renewal in 1995. I'd not worked him, but I've
        only been active on HF since 1998 myself.

        Serendipitously, I've now found and booked a trip to Tristan da Cunha
        for a couple of days in March or April of next year aboard the
        squarerigger EUROPA (also Anarctica, and South Georgia). And I have a
        callsign and address for an active amateur on the island, ZD9BV, Andy
        Repetto.

        There was a discussion about communicating with the island, and I know
        that email can be sent and received using amateur radio shortwave.
        I'll be taking such a setup with me on my trip. It's free, for
        non-commercial, personal use.

        73, doug
      • Joel Ferree
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 30, 2004
          Sue,
          I'm sorry I did not get to call you last night. I'm afraid that I have to
          quit the weaving class. I find it stressful rather than relaxing. That is
          not a reason to take a class. I'm sure you agree. I may be wrong, but I
          think that weaving calls on the math side of my brain. That section hardly
          ever gets used. Please say hi to Karen for me. If you need me to come in
          to remove things from the loom, just let me know. Thanks.
          Mo
          > i am sorry if i am wasting your time. my
          > name is ellis glass and i am from glasgow in scotland.
          > i dont know anything about my family history.my
          > mothers maiden name was annie neilon and my dad was
          > john glass.
          > i wish you luck in your search,
          > ellis
          > --- TOM MORRISON <tom.morrison2@...>
          > wrote:
          >
          > > trying to contact peggy glass daughter of frank and
          > > clara , sister to albert, its been some forty years
          > > since i was on tristan as a radio operator (returned
          > > with advance party after volcano) i am wondering how
          > > things have evolved since then.given the time scale
          > > . regards to all Tom Morrison.

          > Express yourself with Y! Messenger! Free. Download now.
          > http://messenger.yahoo.com
          >

          > This is the Tristan da Cunha list.
          > To post to the list send messages to tristan-da-cunha@egroups.com
          > To change your settings, receive a digest or un-subscribe, go to
          > http://www.egroups.com/group/tristan-da-cunha/
          >
          > For information about Tristan da Cunha, please see the official Tristan
          web page at http://website.lineone.net/~sthelena/tristaninfo.htm

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Marcia Ricks
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1, 2004
            Hi Doug,

            Thanks for your reply.  Yes, my dad died in 1996.  W3NIN won't appear in the next FCC renewal.  But it's interesting to know that his call letters appear in print.  Since I live in close proximity to the FCC, I'll get a copy.  My father was among the best and fastest to ever have operated a key and he's somewhat legendary around here, having assisted in life-saving radio work on many occasions. I have as a personal memento, the last key he used before switching solely to short-wave.

            I do hope that Tom will reply as well.

            Thanks,
            Marcia