Re: Searching for "roots"

  • markalastairsilverman
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2002
      Might I suggest that someone provide Elaine with contact details on
      Tristan (perhaps the Administrator) so that she can pursue her query
      outside of this more public forum that we share.

      Like I said last week, I think the forum is fine for matters of
      general interest - but not matters of a more private matter which may
      also involve individuals and their families on TdC. Perhaps where
      there is some doubt as to whether something is appropriate, the group
      moderator/group owner can be e-mailed first.

      regards

      Mark

      --- In tristan-da-cunha@y..., "elainegdors" <elaine@v...> wrote:
      > Perhaps I should explain my ancestral situation so that my
      intentions
      > will be clear. My grandmother was sent to Minnesota on an "orphan
      > train" in 1889 (from New York) and taken in, though probably not
      > adopted, by a childless but loving family in southern Minnesota.
      As
      > I was growing up I never knew about this and so did not ask any
      > questions. In the past several years, I have developed an urge to
      > trace my family back to their origins where possible. I spent the
      > greater share of 12 years trying to find information on grandma
      > Mayme, all to no avail (I have no birth name on which to search).
      > Recently I became aware that she might have a direct relationship
      on
      > Tristan da Cunha. This is the first breakthrough I have had in my
      > pursuit. My hope is to find someone who has a history and names of
      > the people who might help me in my efforts. I would have no way of
      > knowing if grandma was born on Tristan da Cunha - or if her mother
      > was somehow related to a resident there. I know I am hunting for
      > a "needle in a haystack", but this is really my last resort. We
      > celebrated Grandma's birthday as May 1, 1883.
      >
      > Please forgive me if my earlier message seemed thoughtless or
      > offensive. It was not my intention. Elaine Dorsett
    • rmcnphillips
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3, 2002
        Elaine,

        As both an amateur genealogist and one with an avid interest in,
        and, like others in this group, a bit of a protective attitude
        towards, TDC and its people, I can understand your position,
        especially if you have indeed stumbled upon information that may
        indicate ancestral ties with Tristan families. However, in spite of
        the fact that the terms share a common root, there is a significant
        leap from doing genealogical research to probing the genetic history
        of Tristan families. Personally, I am against using such technology
        for the purposes of researching family histories.

        There are some resources to which you might turn, if you haven't
        already. The web site for Miles Apart Books, which specializes in
        books and other material about the remote South Atlantic Islands
        (and now Pitcairn, as well, I see) can be found at
        http://www.sthelena.se/miles/. Among the titles I note the
        following: "Tristan da Cunha Big Book. 1996. A listing of the
        families and ancestors of the population of TDC." I have not had a
        chance to review it, but perhaps that would be of some help?

        I would also give the UK Public Records Office a shot - their site
        is at http://www.pro.gov.uk/. Their records are extensively
        indexed, and that might be place from which to make further
        inquiries. I seem to recall that a search I did some time ago did
        turn up a listing of some TDC and St. Helena records. There are
        undoubtedly colonial records from South Africa, as well. Getting
        access to them is something you would have to work out with that
        office. My understanding is that some records were compiled by the
        Society for the Propagation of the Gospel from their work on TDC. I
        have no contact information for them.

        Have you done research in census and vital records here in the
        States? If you need some help with resources, I could possibly
        provide them off-line, if you care to e-mail me.

        Hope this is of some help, and good luck to you. I am having a hard
        enough time tracing some ancestors in Pennsylvania, and I know their
        names!

        Regards,
        R.McNaughton Phillips
        Seattle, WA, USA