Re: [TdC] "We're all alone here."

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2002
      markalastairsilverman wrote:

      > Bob
      >
      > Please forgive my curiosity but are you be able to give a brief eye-
      > witness account of what life is like on TdC 6 months after the
      > storm. Have most of the repairs been carried out?

      We were told that all hurricane damage has been repaired except for
      the community centre building and the huts on Nightingale Island. I
      confirmed the truth this statement.

      > Did the Islanders receive the money raised over in the UK?

      Yes, I believe that was extremely well-managed and all proceeds went
      to benefit those in need. The Tristanians are most grateful to their
      friends in the UK and elsewhere for their generosity. They live in a
      community in which they have always been able to depend on each other.
      Their expectations of others are not as certain -- and if we know
      their history, we see good cause for their uncertainty.

      We tend to see the 290+ of them as all sharing one attitude about
      many things. They are perhaps wiser than we, in not making such
      generalizations about us. The truth is, we are wise and foolish,
      good and bad, saintly and evil, and it has always been so. They
      know this. They have much to teach us.

      > Perhaps you have a few
      > photos that you might be able to post on the photos page of the TdC
      > list. Any info. would be appreciated.

      I regret that I am no longer able to take photos, as I found that
      the camera got between me and those I was trying to know. But I
      doubt that there are any significant differences between what I saw
      and what was there a year ago, with the exception of the community
      centre, which has a number of holes in the roof.

      Among those aboard the RMS St. Helena was the director of the Belfast
      agency that provides both resident and visiting medical personnel for
      the island. I had a preconception about those who work for the
      National Health Service in the UK, and was forced to revise my ideas
      because of this truly caring, sensitive and dedicated man. I thus
      believe the people's medical needs are being well looked after.

      Another outstanding passenger was Michael Swales, a biologist at
      Denstone College in England, who has made numerous expeditions to
      the Tristan group over the years, and has served the people in many
      ways. A real friend of the Tristanians, and an inspiring man.

      I was surprised and impressed with the amount of public works heavy
      equipment on the island.

      We spent a night anchored in the lee of Inaccessible Island, which
      is in view of Tristan. There was no wind, and the saee was like
      glass. The only sound was the hum of the ship's machinery, which
      disappears into the background after a while, leaving only a great
      silence. Everywhere around us, the air was filled with birds. The
      silent birds--thousand of them. What an awesome world the Tristanians
      live in!

      With us aboard the ship for that one night was Norman Glass, the
      Conservation officer (and the son of Jimmie Glass). The Tristanians
      are responsible for the natural resources of Gough Island, some 230
      miles south of Tristan, but they have no boat with skufficient range
      to go there. I want to share with you something Norman told me --
      something I will never forget. He said, "We're all alone here."

      I have come here after being retired for 14 years. I have spent
      the last 14 years doing volunteer work relating to history and the
      environment in a British Caribbean Overseas Territory. These are
      the things I really care about, although I have a background in
      business, government and law.

      I want to help these people. My company has presented a proposal
      to the Government of St. Helena that could, through the magick of
      a new EU foreign aid programme for the Overseas Territories, result
      in a tripling of the annual revenue of the Government of St. Helena
      for the next ten years.

      We only market and organize the programme, and have nothing to say
      about how they spend the money we work to bring them. I can only
      tell you what I told Governor Hollamby: that if our proposal is
      approved, I hope some of the resulting funds are shared with the
      Tristanians.

      I am hopeful that our proposal will be given formal consideration
      here this week. If approved, it will need approval by the Foreign
      and Commonwealth Office and the Transhipment Committee of the
      Council of the European Union.

      For those interested in the painful details of our proposal, I
      refer you to the St. Helena Herald:

      http://www.news.co.sh/st%20helena%20herald.htm

      last week: page 9
      this week: front page

      I will try to answer questions, but understand that I am somewhat
      constrained by commercial priorities.

      Best regards from the South Atlantic,

      Bob Conrich
      Consulate Hotel
      Jamestown, St. Helena

      Bob Conrich bob@...
      St. Helena Transhipment Services Ltd.
      Box 666
      Anguilla
      British West Indies Tel: 264 497 2505
    • markalastairsilverman
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2002

        Thank you for your informative and interesting reply and good to know
        the money raised in the UK was received promptly.

        Unfortunately, I couldn't open the news attachment (I have the
        updated Adobe) - is there anywhere else where I can read about your
        proposals for St Helena (which could benefit Tristan), or perhaps you
        could paste an extract into an e-mail.

        I have been reading Peter Munch's Crisis in Utopia which is now 30+
        yrs old. I am curious to find out how today's young (18-30) on both
        TdC and St Helena view the future from where they live and -
        notwithstanding their ability to find work - whether they are happy
        to remain where they are and build their futures there. I know TdC
        prides itself on its self-sufficiency, but are the Island's youth
        happy to commit themselves to life in the South Atlantic...or do they
        see a wider world out there waiting to be experienced. A question
        that has probably been asked 1000s of times before, but it is
        something which interests me (being in that age group). Perhaps you
        or anyone else in the group knows a little of the answer.

        best wishes

        Mark
        London, UK