Tristan news and a bit from St. Helena

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2014
      Interesting submarine cable map. The information I have about the planned
      cable from Brazil to Angola is that it will also branch south to Cape Town,
      and come within a million Pounds or so of St. Helena, which presently has a
      very slow and expensive satellite connection to the outer world. And really
      bad TV service.

      Fast affordable internet service could transform education and the economy
      in St. Helena. Whether that would be a good thing or a social disaster is
      not for me to say, but I'd like the Saints to have such an option and be
      able to decide for themselves.

      Cable & Wireless has sold their St. Helena unit to Batelco, a progressive
      international company based in Bahrain. They seem like the only possible
      funding source for a cable spur, and I've been unable to learn what their
      thinking is.

      And some news from the official website:

      CTBTO station photos:
      http://www.tristandc.com/newsmonitoringstations.php

      Lynette Green's Birthday:
      http://www.tristandc.com/newsbirthdays2013.php

      Water system and harbour repairs:
      http://www.tristandc.com/newsdevelopment2014.php
      "Reticulation" is a bigger word than we have here. We call it a network.

      Robert S. Conrich, ACIArb
      Box 666
      Anguilla bob@...
      British West Indies Tel: 1 264 497 2505
    • Peter Schow
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2014
        On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 07:55:05PM -0400, Bob Conrich wrote:
        > Interesting submarine cable map. The information I have about the planned
        > cable from Brazil to Angola is that it will also branch south to Cape Town,
        > and come within a million Pounds or so of St. Helena, which presently has a
        > very slow and expensive satellite connection to the outer world. And really
        > bad TV service.

        Thanks for pointing this out, Bob. That branch is called the South
        Atlantic Express Cable:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAex

        There is actually a web site from 2012 that was built to campaign for the St.
        desired Helena connection that Bob mentioned:

        http://www.connectsthelena.org/

        I'm sure the sociologists would be lining up in Cape Town to get a
        chance to study the effects on the island if St. Helena was ever lit up
        with access to gigabit internet/TV.

        Further comment by Bob

        Thank you, Peter.

        The Wikipedia website shows St. Helena as a landing point.  At the present time, that's wrong.

        The other website is by someone in Europe who thought a cable to St. Helena was a great idea but had no practical suggestions about how to make it happen.  One suggestion was to get the South African government to pay for it.  South Africa has a few problems of its own.

        There are talks between Batelco and the UK Dept. for International Development, but everyone seems to want someone else to pay for the new spur.  I've made some suggestions to colleagues in London about loan funding, and have prodded some people about trying to bring this corpse back to life.

        Thank you again, Peter, for bringing this up.  I see that I'd neglected the matter since late December.