Philippine Typhoon Appeal in Tristan

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 15, 2013
      Tristan Community Pulls Together to Raise Funds

      All funds to the UK Disaster Emergency Committee
      Philippines Typhoon Appeal

      Conrad Glass led the island initiative. Writing on 12th November he said:
      'I have been moved by the plight of the people in the Philippines. The Tristan community have a long
      history of helping others in need, mainly sailors from wrecked ships or in need of medical aid. When
      the Oliver struck Nightingale the majority of the crew where from the Philippines. I hope they and
      their families were unhurt. In some small gesture we will try and help those in need. Raising funds
      will be the only way we can help.' The Tristan community have experienced what it's like to have
      ones life turned upside down, some 50 years ago when we were forced to evacuate our island.

      So Conrad arranged a meeting to organise fund-raising with Administrator Alex Mitham, Dawn Repetto
      from the Tourism Department, Treasurer Lorraine Repetto and Anne Green and Carl Lander from St
      Mary's School.

      They invite others to join them through backing a sponsored swim
      by pupils of St Mary's School aiming to cover a total of 20 Nautical Miles
      in 12hrs (36,000m or 1800 lengths, the distance around our Island)
      at a special event at the swimming pool (see programme below)
      by donating via an on-line link up with www.justgiving.com:

      http://www.justgiving.com/Tristan-Island-Swim

      Check the website page for details of the event, UK Gift Aid added to donations,
      and below for more on the event itself

      - - - - -

      Tristan Fund Raising Event Programme

      Sunday 17th November

      St Mary's School FĂȘte
      The school teachers and children are baking and selling cookies, biscuits and tarts to sell, and
      will organise a competition.

      Shooting Competition organised by Inspector Conrad Glass
      Adults using .22 rifles, children using air rifles, both with prizes

      Fund Raising during the RMS St Helena Visit from Tuesday 19th November
      A raffle will be held with islanders donating knitwear and other handicrafts as prizes.
      Conrad Glass will be selling a special package of his book 'Rockhopper Copper'
      with a valid Tristan da Cunha Driving Licence as a special one-off package to RMS passengers.
      Provisionally the raffle will be drawn at 18.00 during a Community Reception planned for Tuesday
      19th November.

      Thursday 21st November*
      St Mary's School pupils aim to swim a total of 20 Nautical Miles in 12hrs (36,000m or 1800 lengths,
      the distance around our Island) at a special event at the swimming pool. * Weather permitting

      Public Appeal
      A Public Notice has been issued inviting all to donate if they wish
      and charity buckets will be placed at at key venues to collect money for the Disaster Appeal.

      And finally in today's news, Chantelle and Maya's Joint Party!
      http://www.tristandc.com/newsbirthdays2013.php

      Robert S. Conrich, ACIArb
      Box 666
      Anguilla bob@...