Tristan news

    Message 1 of 247 , Oct 9, 2013
      Injured crew member from a German tanker treated:
      http://www.tristandc.com/newsshipping2013.php

      The man seems to have been walking without assistance. Shipping companies
      pay for medical services, and I believe these events are somewhat profitable
      for the community. Unlike most Overseas Territories, the government budget
      for Tristan is a State Secret. I don't know why.

      Also from the official website:

      Fishing Report
      From Factory Manager Erik MacKenzie on 8th October 2013

      The new season has unfortunately not seen many fishing days so far. The weather has been poor and
      only 10 days have been fished so far between 1st July - 30th September. Things started off very
      slowly, but the tallies have been improving slightly as the season progresses. There has been 26.6
      tonnes landed so far which is less than we were hoping for, but is not all that unusual for this
      time of year.

      The quality of the lobster to date has been excellent and we are managing to keep a high percentage
      of our catch live for keeping in the holding tanks until they are purged and ready for further
      processing into Sashimi, raw frozen or cooked product.

      We now have half the fleet towing around the small rubber boats to hold their catch in the water
      until collection by the ferry. This is proving to be very successful so far and we are seeing very
      encouraging results which we hope to maintain when the weather warms up later in the year and when
      we start struggling to keep the lobster in peak condition.

      Robert S. Conrich, ACIArb
      Box 666
      Anguilla bob@...
      British West Indies Tel: 1 264 497 2505
      Message 247 of 247 , Dec 10 3:23 PM
        Red, white and Blue Planet: Britannia STILL rules the waves in protecting sealife, says ZAC GOLDSMITH
        By Zac Goldsmith For The Mail On Sunday

        Earlier this month, more than 80 million people in China watched the BBC’s Blue Planet II – enough
        to slow down the entire country’s internet when it was streamed online. Around the world, people
        have been enthralled by the David Attenborough series which gives a peerless insight into life under
        the sea.

        While viewers have been delighted and dazzled by dancing dolphins, blue sharks and green turtles,
        they’ve also been horrified to learn just how polluted and plundered our oceans are – and that we
        are to blame.

        Put simply, we have been destroying them. For years, we have behaved as if the oceans are a
        bottomless trash can, filling them with unfathomable quantities of plastic and toxins. Some 12
        million tons of plastic enter the ocean every year – the equivalent of a rubbish truck every minute.

        Viewers have been horrified to learn just how polluted and plundered our oceans are

        It swirls around and forms giant floating plastic islands. One, in the Pacific, is larger than
        France. More than one million birds, and 100,000 mammals and turtles, die every year from eating and
        getting tangled in the mess we have left.

        The damage we are doing is heartbreaking. But governments from Kenya to Morocco are finally getting
        serious about plastic waste.

        The UK plastic-bag levy introduced by the Conservative Government has massively cut their use, and
        the Chancellor announced in the Budget that he wants us to become a world leader in tackling the
        scourge of plastic littering our oceans by taking on single-use plastics. It’s just a start, but
        it’s an important one.

        But plastic is only one part of the problem. We are plundering fish from the oceans at a rate that
        nature simply cannot support. According to the UN, more than two-thirds of our global fisheries are
        either fished out, or are being fished beyond their capacity. Up to 90 per cent of all large fish
        have disappeared from the world’s oceans in the past half-century.

        And it’s not surprising, given the tools we use to catch fish have grown beyond all common sense or
        balance. Today’s trawl nets, for example, can be as big as four football pitches, and collectively
        trap more than 1,000 whales, dolphins, and porpoises every day.

        Today’s trawl nets, for example, can be as big as four football pitches, and collectively trap more
        than 1,000 whales, dolphins, and porpoises every day

        It’s not just a biodiversity disaster. Roughly 200 million people depend directly on fishing for
        their livelihoods. If the industry collapses, the effects will be profound. We saw a glimpse of what
        that means off the coast of Somalia. There, the rise in piracy coincided perfectly with the collapse
        of their once-abundant fishery industry at the hands of giant international fleets.
        The vast ocean Britain wants to protect

        The Weddell Sea, part of the British Antarctic Territory, will become the world’s largest protected
        area – more than seven times the size of the UK – if a proposal backed by Britain is adopted.

        But we’ve also seen that, given half a chance, nature can quickly recover. Where Marine Protected
        Areas have been introduced, they have worked.

        Dotted around the world are 14 British Overseas Territories, such as Pitcairn in the South Pacific,
        home to descendants of survivors of the mutiny on the Bounty. As custodians of these territories and
        their surrounding waters, we have the fifth-largest marine estate in the world. That estate includes
        some of the world’s most important biodiversity hotspots, with a breathtaking array of marine life.

        Speaking at a parliamentary event a few weeks ago, the Foreign Secretary, Boris Johnson, declared
        that a quarter of the world’s penguins are British. He was right.

        Back in 2014, I was part of a campaign calling on the Government to create the world’s biggest
        marine reserves by giving protection to the waters around our overseas territories. And that’s what
        we are doing.

        The damage we are doing is heartbreaking. But governments from Kenya to Morocco are finally getting
        serious about plastic waste

        This Government has already committed 1.5 million square miles of British waters to protection by
        2020 – an area bigger than India. This amounted to the single biggest conservation measure by any
        government, ever. We should be proud of that.
        The super-nets that trap marine life

        Some fishing nets are as big as four football pitches.

        Over-fishing is a major threat to marine life – as is the truckload of plastics dumped into the sea
        every minute.

        If we strengthen and extend protections for South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands, Ascension
        Island, Saint Helena and Tristan da Cunha, the UK will be the only country in the world to have
        established giant, highly protected marine reserves in each of the Indian, Pacific, Atlantic and
        Southern oceans. Mr Johnson has made it clear that he intends to – and he will be cheered all the
        way by the millions of people who were entranced by Blue Planet II.

        But even if we do, the world’s governments will still be far shy of meeting the global commitment to
        protect ten per cent of our oceans by 2020. That’s why Britain’s leadership is so important. We have
        a giant opportunity in the next 12 months to demonstrate it again.
        Boris Johnson recently proclaimed that one quarter of all penguins on earth are British
        +5

        Boris Johnson recently proclaimed that one quarter of all penguins on earth are British

        The Antarctic Ocean is one of the most extreme environments on Earth, but it supports seabed
        diversity on the same level as tropical reefs. It is the home not only of emperor penguins and the
        great whales, but countless lesser-known species such as the giant sea-spider and the ice
        dragonfish, which produces antifreeze in its blood.

        And while the Antarctic may be the other end of the Earth, our Government will play a crucial role
        in the fate of this last wilderness.
        Why one in four of the world's penguins are British

        As Boris Johnson has said, seas around British Overseas Territories contain breeding grounds for a
        quarter of the world’s penguins.

        For in just under 12 months’ time, the UK, together with our overseas partners, will propose the
        creation of a vast Marine Protected Area in the Weddell Sea of about 700,000 square miles. With
        international agreement, this would protect an area of ocean 200 times the size of Yellowstone
        National Park. It would be the biggest protected area on the planet, and a game-changer for ocean
        conservation.

        We have one of the most formidable diplomatic networks in the world and, in Boris Johnson, a Foreign
        Secretary who is excited by the role global Britain can play in world conservation.

        We can be so proud of what we have achieved in the past seven years, but what we have done should be
        seen as a start, not the end.

        We need now to build on what we have done and persuade our international friends to help us protect
        Antarctic waters and secure a future for our seas.

        Photos:
        http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5163271/ZAC-GOLDSMITH-Britain-leads-marine-life-protection.html

        St Helena Independent
        One Year On and this whodunit mystery still not solved

        Last November the House of Commons Public Accounts Com-
        mittee held a session to take evidence on the delay in open-
        ing St Helena airport. The then most senior civil servant at
        DFID, Mark Lowcock, answered most of the questions fired
        by members of the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) and
        was generally considered to have given a poor performance.
        Not long afterwards he was given a knighthood and move from
        DFID to the United Nations – but that’s another story.

        The opening sentence in the PAC conclusions and recom-
        mendations was, “It is staggering that the Department com-
        missioned and completed the St Helena airport before ascer-
        taining the effect of prevailing wind conditions on landing com-
        mercial aircraft safely at St Helena.” The rest of the conclu-
        sions did not show DFID in a better light. The recommenda-
        tions included, “The Department should, as soon as it is com-
        pleted, send us a copy of its review identifying who was ac-
        countable for the failure to identify this key issue” and “The
        Department should write to us by April 2017, and more regu-
        larly to the stakeholders of the airport, with an update on its
        strategy and forecast costs for bringing the airport into com-
        mercial use.” The response from the UK government on these
        and other recommendations made by the UK Public Accounts
        Committee have been very brief and short on information.

        Attempts to get more information from DFID on how this project
        could go so badly wrong have been met with delay, excuses
        and evasion.

        Government responses to the report from the PAC after their
        evidence session were published in March 2017. The UK
        government agreed with all of PAC’s recommendations but
        added some small print to all of them. While the government
        said they were willing to share the outcome of the review into
        what went wrong with our airport, they added, “The Depart-
        ment aims to share with the Committee the conclusions of
        the review in a way which does not prejudice any potential
        legal proceedings.” To this day the UK government are hold-
        ing back basic and important information on the pretext that
        publishing the information may “prejudice any potential legal
        proceedings.” The government also agreed with the PAC
        recommendation that DFID should, “re-calculate its projected
        tourism figures to provide an updated assessment of progress
        towards economic self-sufficiency and the consequent reduc-
        tion in the Department’s subsidy.” The UK government added,
        “The number of tourists in these scenarios is determined by
        looking at the likely size of the plane, estimated number of
        flights per week, and an estimate of the percentage of tourists
        on the plane. These revenue projections will be updated once
        the commercial tender is completed and there is more cer-
        tainty on the frequency of flights.” They also set April 2018 as
        the target date for completing these projections.

        The only thing we have heard on this is our new Director of
        Tourism (designate) observing that the projected 30,000 tour-
        ist a year coming to St Helena in ten or so years time is now
        unrealistic. This is very true; landing 30,000 passengers here
        requires an Airlink arrival everyday of the year, each plane
        with the promised engine upgrade and carrying a full load of
        87 passengers. It will be very interesting to read the new
        projections on tourism as the main engine for this Island’s
        economic growth and when it may be possible for St Helena
        to exist without UK government subsidies. The big question
        is, will these revised projections and estimates be published
        on time and without censorship?

        The PAC report on its St Helena session included, “On whether
        it had received independent advice on the quality of Atkins’
        work, the Department told us that the quality control and re-
        view of Atkins’ work was one of the things its current review
        would examine.” It is what was recommended by Atkins and
        the extent to which DFID did not follow their recommenda-
        tions that DFID is being very secretive about. Atkins recom-
        mended “To allow a robust assessment, flight trialling of the
        Prosperous Bay Plain site is recommended, to occur before
        the design for the chosen runway is finalised.” To emphasise
        the importance of tests Atkins also recommended, “It is there-
        fore recommended that, regardless of which aerodrome op-
        tion is chosen and before the runway design is finalised, a
        charter aircraft should fly test the approaches to and depar-
        tures from the intended runway. This would ensure confidence
        in the final design and may be regarded as part of the design
        process applicable to St Helena’s circumstances.” Atkins
        was very conscious of the wind situation and suggested the
        flight tests, “should also include provision of flight trialling the
        approaches to the runway, upon completion, using a B737 a
        number of times over, say, two months.” It is the questions
        on this issue that are of crucial concern and continue to be
        evaded by DFID because the answers may “prejudice any
        potential legal proceedings.” Why were test flights limited
        to just one and who made the decision to reduce test flights
        to the absolute minimum? Attempts to obtain this informa-
        tion through the UK Freedom of Information Act have so far
        proved unsuccessful.

        [This DFID Freedom of Information drama has been going on since February! Bob]

        The terms of reference for the St Helena Airport Programme
        Board state the Chairperson who is also the ‘Senior Respon-
        sible Owner’ has sole responsibility for decisions made after
        taking advice, or not, from other Project (Programme?) Board
        members. The terms of reference does not give names.

        This morning, at 10:30 our time, the former chief civil servant
        at DFID Martin Lowcock will be holding a press conference in
        Geneva, Switzerland to launch the Global Humanitarian Ap-
        peal for 2018. As the United Nations Under-Secretary-Gen-
        eral for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Co-ordinator
        Lowcock has very little time now to think about wind shear at
        King and Queen Rocks. The United Nations makes this ap-
        peal every December for the forthcoming year. For 2017 it
        was estimated the member countries of the United Nations
        would need to contribute between them £16.7 billion to ad-
        equately provide aid and emergency relief to civilians caught
        in the middle of civil wars, famine, floods, hurricanes, vol-
        canic explosions and more. In 2016 the donations from UN
        member states fell £1.5 billion short of the target. Martin
        Lowcock may have an even tougher job on his hands raising
        enough money in 2018.

        :: Ends ::

        Out here in the overseas territories, HMG lectures us about open government.

        Robert S. Conrich, ACIArb
        Box 666
        Anguilla
        British West Indies bob@...