Shipping News and Illegal Fishing

  • bobconrich
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2013

      MV Edinburgh arrived from Cape Town on Wednesday 28th August and passengers were immediately offloaded at 9.30pm. Aboard were islanders Mark, Paula, Natalie & Nathan Swain, Desmond, Donna & Calvin Green, Warren Glass (from training in the Isle of Man), Dentist Penny Granger with her daughter Elika and Factory Manager Erik Mackenzie. Copies of the August Tristan da Cunha Newsletter also arrived and are available to all island families. Offloading was not possible on Thursday 29th or Friday 30th August.

      RFA Black Rover's August Visit

      The Royal Fleet Auxiliary vessel Black Rover returned to Tristan waters on Thursday 28th August. Unfortunately sea conditions on both Thursday and Friday prevented crew coming ashore. Nevertheless the vessel carried out a planned fisheries patrol to deter poachers.

      I've always been very concerned about illegal fishing in the waters of not only Tristan but St. Helena and Ascension.  Enforcement is very expensive.  None of these local governments can afford to do anything effective.  No other agency wants to pay for it, so they're largely dependent upon the good graces of the Royal Navy.

      I hate to appear ungrateful but am I alone in not remembering them ever catching a poacher?