Re: [TdC] Re message No 227

  • StellrJ@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 20, 2001
      In a message dated Fri, 19 Oct 2001 3:38:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time, gm6hgw@... writes:

      > Dear Tristan Group Members,
      > >
      > I have never detected any disdainful or arrogant views of
      > Tristainians by members posting messages on this board. Having
      > visited Tristan, I hold the view that the islanders are a most
      > resourceful group of people <snip>

      I am not sure either what was meant by that message; it did not come from a Tristanian, so it may or may not reflect the Tristanian view. But, I do remember, the guest speaker at my college graduation was a Native American author (sorry, I forget his name; he wrote _The Business of Fancydancing_). He poked fun at the anthropological approach by describing his trip to Italy in the same terms as an anthropologist might use in writing about a "primitive" people. The point was that anyone writing about a culture, without being a member of that culture, is in some sense presuming; without being a member of that culture, one can never be sure of understanding it rightly.

      Jason Hernandez
      Naturalist-at-Large