Interisland cooperation

  • bobconrich
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2011
      My apologies to Wolfgang. He submitted a message for approval four days ago and I didn't realise it until a few minutes ago.

      With regard to trade between islands, most of the islands here in the Caribbean have goods to trade in commercial quantities. But cargo transportation is either too unreliable or too expensive to make regular trade feasible, except between each individual island and Florida. So our governments can do combined purchasing of pharmaceuticals. This can't be done in the South Atlantic because there's no central shipping point.

      My island is a tourism island. Our only commercial export is cement blocks. The manufacturer can charter a small cargo ship because there are six islands within an hour or two of here. There's no potential for that sort of thing in the South Atlantic.

      Bob
      Anguilla
      British West Indies