AW: [TdC] 8 of the world's most remote islands

  • Wolfgang Schaub
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 8, 2011
      Hello Klaus,

      just got another proposal: Christmas Island.

      That sounds great. If I look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Map_of_Christmas_Island_1976.jpg I don't detect a neighbouring island. When I check the distance to the south coast of Java, it is about 330 km away. In contrast, Rockall is only 301.4 km away from Soay.

      So Christmas Island leads the debate.

      Are there any other, better, ideas?

      Wolfgang

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 8, 2011
        Bonsoir à tous,

        Thanks to Google Earth, I found Macquarie Island (54°38'south, 158°54'East) is alone, some 610km (380 miles) away
        from the next island,in the south west of New-Zealand.
        But coming back to the definition of remote, should this word be valid only for unhabited location from other unhabited location,
        should'nt it ? Adding that, Tristan is surely the most remote island...

        Marc

        Le 08/01/2011 18:55, Wolfgang Schaub a écrit :

        > Hello Klaus,
        >
        > just got another proposal: Christmas Island.
        >
        > That sounds great. If I look at
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Map_of_Christmas_Island_1976.jpg I
        > don't detect a neighbouring island. When I check the distance to the
        > south coast of Java, it is about 330 km away. In contrast, Rockall is
        > only 301.4 km away from Soay.
        >
        > So Christmas Island leads the debate.
        >
        > Are there any other, better, ideas?
        >
        > Wolfgang

      • Paul Carroll
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 8, 2011
          Marc,

          Macquarie Island is remote, but I think you also should look at
          Bouvetoya in the South Atlantic Ocean - nearest land is the Antarctic
          Continent.

        • Klaus-Dieter
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 8, 2011
            Hi all,

            Christmas Island was not bad, but on the south coast are a few rocks or islets.
            Bouvet, whow, an island with connection to Tristan! Very sympathetically!
            In 1964 Alan B. Crawford was leader of a South African Bouvet Expedition. S.A. wanted to establish a weather station on the island and ABC took a few Tristanians with him to Bouvet.
            Alas - a few rocks off the north coast of the island.
            Macquarie Island, too.
            I fear we cannot clear that problem, because a few rocks will always be near an island.

            I prefer Tristan!

            Have a nice Sunday
            -- Klaus --
            www.hahnstamps.com

            --- In tristan-da-cunha@yahoogroups.com, Paul Carroll <pc@...> wrote:

            > Marc,
            >
            > Macquarie Island is remote, but I think you also should look at
            > Bouvetoya in the South Atlantic Ocean - nearest land is the Antarctic
            > Continent.
            >
            > On 08/01/2011 22:00, Marc SERRAU wrote:
            > > Bonsoir à tous,
            > >
            > > Thanks to Google Earth, I found Macquarie Island (54°38'south, 158°54'East) is alone, some 610km (380 miles) away
            > > from the next island,in the south west of New-Zealand.
            > > But coming back to the definition of remote, should this word be valid only for unhabited location from other unhabited location,
            > > should'nt it ? Adding that, Tristan is surely the most remote island...
            > >
            > > Marc
            > >

            > > Le 08/01/2011 18:55, Wolfgang Schaub a écrit :
            > >>

            > >> Hello Klaus,
            > >>
            > >> just got another proposal: Christmas Island.
            > >>
            > >> That sounds great. If I look at
            > >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Map_of_Christmas_Island_1976.jpg I
            > >> don't detect a neighbouring island. When I check the distance to the
            > >> south coast of Java, it is about 330 km away. In contrast, Rockall is
            > >> only 301.4 km away from Soay.
            > >>
            > >> So Christmas Island leads the debate.
            > >>
            > >> Are there any other, better, ideas?
            > >>
            > >> Wolfgang

          • DERALD NYE
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 8, 2011
              I and my wife (now deceased) had the privilege of being to 5 of
              your 8 islands.

              Ascension Is                   4 visits
              St Helena                       3 visits
              Tristan-da-cunha            2 visits
              Pit Cairn Is + Ducie & Henderson
              Easter Is

              None of this travel was work related.
              I have been fortunate.

              Cheers,

              Derald Nye
            • Wolfgang Schaub
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 8, 2011
                Bouvetoya does not qualify - there is Larsoya in the neighbourhood.

                Wolfgang

                Macquarie Island is remote, but I think you also should look at
                Bouvetoya in the South Atlantic Ocean - nearest land is the Antarctic
                Continent.

                On 08/01/2011 22:00, Marc SERRAU wrote:
                > Bonsoir à tous,
                >
                > Thanks to Google Earth, I found Macquarie Island (54°38'south,
                158°54'East) is alone, some 610km (380 miles) away
                > from the next island,in the south west of New-Zealand.
                > But coming back to the definition of remote, should this word be valid
                only for unhabited location from other unhabited location,
                > should'nt it ? Adding that, Tristan is surely the most remote island...
                >
                > Marc
                >

                > Le 08/01/2011 18:55, Wolfgang Schaub a écrit :
                >>

                >> Hello Klaus,
                >>
                >> just got another proposal: Christmas Island.
                >>
                >> That sounds great. If I look at
                >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Map_of_Christmas_Island_1976.jpg I
                >> don't detect a neighbouring island. When I check the distance to the
                >> south coast of Java, it is about 330 km away. In contrast, Rockall is
                >> only 301.4 km away from Soay.
                >>
                >> So Christmas Island leads the debate.
                >>
                >> Are there any other, better, ideas?
                >>
                >> Wolfgang

                ----------=_4G0D8G0N.8B2B1A6A--
              • Wolfgang Schaub
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 9, 2011
                  The definition was: Only named islands count. So "a few rocks or islets" don't matter as long as they don't bear names.

                  The definition had also nothing to do with "inhabited" or "uninhabited".

                  By the way: If one looks out for isolated communities and their lack of attachment to the outside world, Tristan is by far NOT the most remote place.

                  Wolfgang