Re: [TdC] 8 of the world's most remote islands

  • Klaus-Dieter
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 8, 2011
      Hi Wolfgang,

      St. Helena, ok, but have a look to St. Peter and St. Paul rocks, 00°55′1″N 29°20′7″W, about 630 km northeast of Fernando do Noronha - ok, serveral rocks in a small nearby group (see aerial photo Google Earth).
      It's not easy to find an island not associated with an islet - or even a single rock. If you include each rock in the nearest neighborhood of a main island.... - I give up!
      And for an islander who wants to leave St. Helena or Tristan to join outside civilisation it's not an advantage to have a few islets or rocks nearby (perhaps only if his ship sinks...).

      Best regards
      -- Klaus --

      --- In tristan-da-cunha@yahoogroups.com, "Wolfgang Schaub" <Wolfgang.Schaub@...> wrote:

      > Sorry Klaus: St. Helena is associated with Speery Island:
      > http://www.welt-atlas.de/datenbank/karte.php?kartenid=2-546
      >
      > And St. Paul's Rocks? Well, there seem to be at least 5 islets which bear
      > names, in other words: They neutralize each other:
      > a.. Belmonte Islet: 5,380 square metres (57,900 sq ft)
      > b.. Challenger Islet (also known as São Paulo): 3,000 square metres
      > (32,000 sq ft)
      > c.. Nordeste Islet (also known as São Pedro): 1,440 square metres (15,500
      > sq ft)
      > d.. Cabral Islet: 1,170 square metres (12,600 sq ft)
      > e.. South Islet: 943 square metres (10,150 sq ft).
      > See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Peter_and_Saint_Paul_Archipelago
      >
      > And Fernando Noronha? Is 220 miles off the Brazilian mainland coast.
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernando_de_Noronha
      >
      > Rockall is only 187.3 miles off Soay (of the St. Kilda archipelago). But are
      > there little islands around Fernando Noronha which bear names? Sure there
      > are: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernando_de_Noronha
      >
      > Still 1 : 0 for me.
      >
      > Wolfgang

    • Wolfgang Schaub
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 8, 2011
        Hello Klaus,

        just got another proposal: Christmas Island.

        That sounds great. If I look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Map_of_Christmas_Island_1976.jpg I don't detect a neighbouring island. When I check the distance to the south coast of Java, it is about 330 km away. In contrast, Rockall is only 301.4 km away from Soay.

        So Christmas Island leads the debate.

        Are there any other, better, ideas?

        Wolfgang

        St. Helena, ok, but have a look to St. Peter and St. Paul rocks, 00°55&#8242;1&#8243;N 29°20&#8242;7&#8243;W, about 630 km northeast of Fernando do Noronha - ok, serveral rocks in a small nearby group (see aerial photo Google Earth).
        It's not easy to find an island not associated with an islet - or even a single rock. If you include each rock in the nearest neighborhood of a main island.... - I give up!
        And for an islander who wants to leave St. Helena or Tristan to join outside civilisation it's not an advantage to have a few islets or rocks nearby (perhaps only if his ship sinks...).

        Best regards
        -- Klaus --

        --- In tristan-da-cunha@yahoogroups.com, "Wolfgang Schaub" <Wolfgang.Schaub@...> wrote:

        > Sorry Klaus: St. Helena is associated with Speery Island:
        > http://www.welt-atlas.de/datenbank/karte.php?kartenid=2-546
        >
        > And St. Paul's Rocks? Well, there seem to be at least 5 islets which bear
        > names, in other words: They neutralize each other:
        > a.. Belmonte Islet: 5,380 square metres (57,900 sq ft)
        > b.. Challenger Islet (also known as São Paulo): 3,000 square metres
        > (32,000 sq ft)
        > c.. Nordeste Islet (also known as São Pedro): 1,440 square metres (15,500
        > sq ft)
        > d.. Cabral Islet: 1,170 square metres (12,600 sq ft)
        > e.. South Islet: 943 square metres (10,150 sq ft).
        > See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Peter_and_Saint_Paul_Archipelago
        >
        > And Fernando Noronha? Is 220 miles off the Brazilian mainland coast.
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernando_de_Noronha
        >
        > Rockall is only 187.3 miles off Soay (of the St. Kilda archipelago). But are
        > there little islands around Fernando Noronha which bear names? Sure there
        > are: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernando_de_Noronha
        >
        > Still 1 : 0 for me.
        >
        > Wolfgang

      • Marc SERRAU
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 8, 2011
          Bonsoir à tous,

          Thanks to Google Earth, I found Macquarie Island (54°38'south, 158°54'East) is alone, some 610km (380 miles) away
          from the next island,in the south west of New-Zealand.
          But coming back to the definition of remote, should this word be valid only for unhabited location from other unhabited location,
          should'nt it ? Adding that, Tristan is surely the most remote island...

          Marc

          Le 08/01/2011 18:55, Wolfgang Schaub a écrit :

          > Hello Klaus,
          >
          > just got another proposal: Christmas Island.
          >
          > That sounds great. If I look at
          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Map_of_Christmas_Island_1976.jpg I
          > don't detect a neighbouring island. When I check the distance to the
          > south coast of Java, it is about 330 km away. In contrast, Rockall is
          > only 301.4 km away from Soay.
          >
          > So Christmas Island leads the debate.
          >
          > Are there any other, better, ideas?
          >
          > Wolfgang

        • Paul Carroll
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 8, 2011
            Marc,

            Macquarie Island is remote, but I think you also should look at
            Bouvetoya in the South Atlantic Ocean - nearest land is the Antarctic
            Continent.

          • Klaus-Dieter
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 8, 2011
              Hi all,

              Christmas Island was not bad, but on the south coast are a few rocks or islets.
              Bouvet, whow, an island with connection to Tristan! Very sympathetically!
              In 1964 Alan B. Crawford was leader of a South African Bouvet Expedition. S.A. wanted to establish a weather station on the island and ABC took a few Tristanians with him to Bouvet.
              Alas - a few rocks off the north coast of the island.
              Macquarie Island, too.
              I fear we cannot clear that problem, because a few rocks will always be near an island.

              I prefer Tristan!

              Have a nice Sunday
              -- Klaus --
              www.hahnstamps.com

              --- In tristan-da-cunha@yahoogroups.com, Paul Carroll <pc@...> wrote:

              > Marc,
              >
              > Macquarie Island is remote, but I think you also should look at
              > Bouvetoya in the South Atlantic Ocean - nearest land is the Antarctic
              > Continent.
              >
              > On 08/01/2011 22:00, Marc SERRAU wrote:
              > > Bonsoir à tous,
              > >
              > > Thanks to Google Earth, I found Macquarie Island (54°38'south, 158°54'East) is alone, some 610km (380 miles) away
              > > from the next island,in the south west of New-Zealand.
              > > But coming back to the definition of remote, should this word be valid only for unhabited location from other unhabited location,
              > > should'nt it ? Adding that, Tristan is surely the most remote island...
              > >
              > > Marc
              > >

              > > Le 08/01/2011 18:55, Wolfgang Schaub a écrit :
              > >>

              > >> Hello Klaus,
              > >>
              > >> just got another proposal: Christmas Island.
              > >>
              > >> That sounds great. If I look at
              > >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Map_of_Christmas_Island_1976.jpg I
              > >> don't detect a neighbouring island. When I check the distance to the
              > >> south coast of Java, it is about 330 km away. In contrast, Rockall is
              > >> only 301.4 km away from Soay.
              > >>
              > >> So Christmas Island leads the debate.
              > >>
              > >> Are there any other, better, ideas?
              > >>
              > >> Wolfgang

            • DERALD NYE
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 8, 2011
                I and my wife (now deceased) had the privilege of being to 5 of
                your 8 islands.

                Ascension Is                   4 visits
                St Helena                       3 visits
                Tristan-da-cunha            2 visits
                Pit Cairn Is + Ducie & Henderson
                Easter Is

                None of this travel was work related.
                I have been fortunate.

                Cheers,

                Derald Nye
              • Wolfgang Schaub
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 8, 2011
                  Bouvetoya does not qualify - there is Larsoya in the neighbourhood.

                  Wolfgang

                  Macquarie Island is remote, but I think you also should look at
                  Bouvetoya in the South Atlantic Ocean - nearest land is the Antarctic
                  Continent.

                  On 08/01/2011 22:00, Marc SERRAU wrote:
                  > Bonsoir à tous,
                  >
                  > Thanks to Google Earth, I found Macquarie Island (54°38'south,
                  158°54'East) is alone, some 610km (380 miles) away
                  > from the next island,in the south west of New-Zealand.
                  > But coming back to the definition of remote, should this word be valid
                  only for unhabited location from other unhabited location,
                  > should'nt it ? Adding that, Tristan is surely the most remote island...
                  >
                  > Marc
                  >

                  > Le 08/01/2011 18:55, Wolfgang Schaub a écrit :
                  >>

                  >> Hello Klaus,
                  >>
                  >> just got another proposal: Christmas Island.
                  >>
                  >> That sounds great. If I look at
                  >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Map_of_Christmas_Island_1976.jpg I
                  >> don't detect a neighbouring island. When I check the distance to the
                  >> south coast of Java, it is about 330 km away. In contrast, Rockall is
                  >> only 301.4 km away from Soay.
                  >>
                  >> So Christmas Island leads the debate.
                  >>
                  >> Are there any other, better, ideas?
                  >>
                  >> Wolfgang

                  ----------=_4G0D8G0N.8B2B1A6A--
                • Wolfgang Schaub
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 9, 2011
                    The definition was: Only named islands count. So "a few rocks or islets" don't matter as long as they don't bear names.

                    The definition had also nothing to do with "inhabited" or "uninhabited".

                    By the way: If one looks out for isolated communities and their lack of attachment to the outside world, Tristan is by far NOT the most remote place.

                    Wolfgang