A Failed State on the Horizon

  • bobconrich
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 20, 2010
      It is true that Ovenstone, a South Africa-based company, presently controls Tristan's main industry, and thus its economy, trade and transportation. But links are not necessarily unbreakable chains. If they fail to relocate and South Africa becomes dysfunctional, others will want Tristan's valuable exports, and I expect would compete for them.

      If the sky is falling in South Africa, it may not do so in Namibia, Brazil, or Spain, or even in India or Japan. A British Overseas Territory has more commercial flexibility than a small town in Wolfgang's country or mine.

      Bob

      On 11/19/2010 11:24 AM, Wolfgang Schaub wrote:
      > I am "pleased" -- actually not pleased at all -- to forward an article about the prospects of South Africa as a nation and society.
      > Although I may be accused of posting something off-topic, it is in fact ON-TOPIC as it seriously touches Tristan's future as
      > well, which has become linked to the fate of South Africa the moment when Tristan lost its independence as a society after the
      > eruption of the volcano in 1962.
    • Christoph Kober
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 20, 2010

        What are some important resources that lie within Tristan da Cunha ’s influence?  This, of course, is not a cynical question.  I would earnestly like to know, as Mr. Conrich brings up an interesting point linking Tristan’s future to the growing resource scarcity.

        Thank you for any responses,

        Christoph Kober