AW: [TdC] Administrative position advertised for Tristan

  • Wolfgang Schaub
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 5, 2010
      "An exceptional individual is required to lead efforts to increase Government productivity. The Chief Executive will manage Tristan Government officials to meet strategic objectives and resolve day-to-day problems. The jobholder will implement reforms to increase long term Government productivity, and improve financial management."

      Have seldom read a more boastful nonsense. "Align work with strategic objectives", "model of good line management practice", "excellent leadershop skills", "a positive 'can-do' attitude".

      We deal with 274 or so people !!! To call the administration plus Island Council a "Government" is just ridiculous.

      Just an example: If I want to buy a simple electric bulb on Tristan, I have to make my way to the "Department of Electricity", where the bulb is being forwarded on the table for me to purchase. Then a number of paper forms are fillied in. Headline: "Government of Tristan da Cunha". Line below: "Invoice". Eventually I have to sign, take the bulb and leave the "Department", which actually is a simple shop.

      The revenue of 1 pound or so is then being introduced to the "Treasury" and certainly will keep generations of administrators and book-keepers busy.

      If anybody feels offended, so sorry.

      Wolfgang

      -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
      A rare opportunity for the right person to be, effectively, "Assistant Administrator". As far as I've seen, this job is only being advertised in South Africa, no doubt to save money on transportation. In order to achieve equity with South African candidates, I would waive payment for transportation from my home country to Cape Town if I wanted this job.

      http://www.jobvine.co.za/jobdetails/chief-executive-tristan-da-cunha/9630
      or
      http://renee.co.za/careers-detail.php?id=68

      Bob