Management and control of the Tristan da Cunha Group on Yahoo

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2010
      Dear Alexander,

      I write to you as owner and moderator of the Tristan/Yahoo Group.

      I am copying this to some 130 group members who have posted or
      contacted me over the past eight years. They are being blind
      copied to prevent spammers from getting their addresses, and
      they may be assured that no one but me has or will have this list
      and I am unlikely to use it ever again.

      Over the eight years in which I've been a member of the Group I've
      seen some serious changes. What used to be an interesting group
      of people and some friendly discussions (and even a bit of
      controversy occasionally) seems to have deteriorated into a rather
      dry posting of a series of "announcements."

      About a dozen people have written to me privately, complaining
      that their attempts to communicate with the group have been
      discarded, often without explanation or even notice. This tight
      control arises from your choice of moderating and approving each
      message before it is posted. The result is an academic and very
      orderly group that I'm certain appeals to some, but which I find
      rather boring. Having personally contributed about 58% of these
      messages, I'm finding it increasingly unsatisfying. I don't wish
      to continue doing so in a group where everyone is subject to
      censorship.

      I recognise that unmoderated groups, like democracies, can be
      disorderly. Freedom has its price. Unless there are changes, I
      regret that this is goodbye and thank you.

      Robert S. Conrich, ACIArb
      Box 666
      Anguilla bob@...
      British West Indies Tel: 1 264 497 2505
    • Ilan Kelman
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 31, 2010
        Dear Alexander,

        I wish to indicate that I support Bob's comments. I have posted very infrequently, usually on discussion issues rather than news postings. But I have always appreciated the postings of Bob and the others, both the announcements and the discussions--even when it became controversial. I found that, including the few notable occasions when one individual stepped out of line, the group was superb at self-moderating and the free-flowing discussion helped me to learn and enjoy it.

        If the group is not working for Bob, then it cannot be working for me. Sadly, without going back to the original form of the group, I would have little incentive to post under any circumstances. And I would greatly miss Bob's postings which usually included insightful commentary helping me to put the news items into perspective.

        I appreciate the work that you have done in managing the group and in bringing us together--and especially in keeping the group entirely spam free which is not easy and which takes time. But the current format of the group has too many limitations and I would repeat Bob's comments regarding the balance--which, in my view, the group maintained without moderation. Thank you for your consideration.

        Ilan

        > I write to you as owner and moderator of the Tristan/Yahoo
        > Group.
        >
        > I am copying this to some 130 group members who have posted
        > or
        > contacted me over the past eight years.  They are
        > being blind
        > copied to prevent spammers from getting their addresses,
        > and
        > they may be assured that no one but me has or will have
        > this list
        > and I am unlikely to use it ever again.
        >
        > Over the eight years in which I've been a member of the
        > Group I've
        > seen some serious changes.  What used to be an
        > interesting group
        > of people and some friendly discussions (and even a bit of
        > controversy occasionally) seems to have deteriorated into a
        > rather
        > dry posting of a series of "announcements."
        >
        > About a dozen people have written to me privately,
        > complaining
        > that their attempts to communicate with the group have
        > been
        > discarded, often without explanation or even notice.
        > This tight
        > control arises from your choice of moderating and approving
        > each
        > message before it is posted.  The result is an
        > academic and very
        > orderly group that I'm certain appeals to some, but which I
        > find
        > rather boring.  Having personally contributed about
        > 58% of these
        > messages, I'm finding it increasingly unsatisfying.  I
        > don't wish
        > to continue doing so in a group where everyone is subject
        > censorship.
        >
        > I recognise that unmoderated groups, like democracies, can
        > be
        > disorderly.  Freedom has its price.  Unless there
        > are changes, I
        > regret that this is goodbye and thank you.
        >
        > Bob

        > Robert S. Conrich, ACIArb
        > Box 666
        > Anguilla
        >
        >    bob@...
        > British West Indies
        >           Tel:   1
        > 264 497 2505

      • A.H.Schulenburg
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2010
          Dear Bob,

          Thank you for your message, which have left me a little bewildered, especially as regards you statement that:

          "About a dozen people have written to me privately, complaining
          that their attempts to communicate with the group have been
          discarded, often without explanation or even notice.  This tight
          control arises from your choice of moderating and approving each
          message before it is posted."

          I am not aware of having rejected any messages for a very long time, but I do not approve all requests to join the group.  Perhaps this is where the problem lies.  When people want to join the group, they are asked to state why they wish to do so.  The last two applications which I did not approve gave the following explanations:
          Male, engineer, 40, Sick of California and sunshine.

          I am interested in the South Atlantic island of Tristan da Cunha so pls I want information for south Atlantic but give me full information.
          I also decline applications that give no reason at all.  This is solely to keep out spammers, which both of the above might be, based on past experience of having approved people who turned out to be spammers.

          I appreciate that the list depends on your postings, but I cannot get people to discuss things, when they don't want to.

          Perhaps the dozen people you mentioned can try to re-subscribe to the group, re-stating their reasons or mentioning you.

          Also, I manage the list via email notifications of posts, but check online occasionally, where I will sometimes find pending posts that were not notified by email.

          However, to address this issue I have now changed your status to 'Moderator', which means that you will be notified:
          when there are pending messages/memberships which require approval
          and which allows you to
          Approve pending messages
          Approve pending members
          Invite and add members
          Remove members and reset bouncing members
          Ban members
          If you don not want to take on those responsibilities, then let me know.  I retain the same 'powers' as before.

          With best wishes,

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              tristan-da-cunha-digest@yahoogroups.com
              tristan-da-cunha-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Paul B. Walker, Jr.
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 3, 2010
            If it matters any, I support Bob too! I've only been a member of this group for a few months now, but i really do enjoy reading his posts. I believe in learning all i can from wherever I can, and reading the latest news and information from a small/remote island is not only enjoying to me, but some of this news I wouldn't hear anywhere else, so I appreciate it.

            I was never a part of this group before, so I don't know what kind of discussing went on before.. but i certainly welcome them. the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked.. and I think the best way people learn.. is from EACH OTHER!

            If it were up to me (but it's not), I would like to see this turned into more then just a NEWS/NOTICE email list.. and having on going discussions, kinda like a chatroom, but by email.. Whatever it is, a question about Tristan, the latest news or just wanna share .. we should post it here.

            Paul Walker
            Marion, ILLINOIS, USA
            http://www.onairdj.com