A proposed "federation" of South Atlantic British Overseas Territories

  • bobconrich
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 12, 2010
      The following article is from the 5 March issue of the St. Helena Independent. It appears to have been written by staff, as I haven't seen it elsewhere.

      It is unclear to me if the proposed "federation" would combine the islands into a single unified Overseas Territory, or if this federation would be similar to a discussion group that could facilitate technology transfer, duty-free trade alliances and such. Due to the vast distances between these islands, very limited transportation facilities and very limited exports, trade agreements aren't feasible. Tristan has transportation only to South Africa and only exports lobster. St. Helena only exports frozen fish and a tiny amount of very expensive coffee. Political unification, if oil is discovered in the Falklands, would give the Falklands so much economic influence that the others would become mere vassal states, to the advantage of no one except various agencies in London and Brussels.

      This kind of regionalisation has been popular since the Golden Age of Colonialism and serves the convenience of the colonial powers. But it was the underlying cause of the 1967 Anguilla Revolution and countless wars in Africa. We out here in the colonies want none of it. I know Mr. Russell is a well-meaning member of Parliament. It is unclear to me what he's thinking.

      Bob Conrich
      Anguilla, British West Indies

      SOUTH ATLANTIC POLITICS

      The recent political attention to the
      South Atlantic has continued. Bob
      Russell, the Liberal Democrat MP from
      Colchester he said that the Falkland
      Islands in the South Atlantic are very
      important to Britain's interests. May I
      draw the Ministers attention to the fact
      that without Ascension Island, the Falkland
      Islands could not be sustained and
      without the people of St Helena living
      on the Falklands and Ascension Island
      the Falkland Islands could not be sustained
      either. Is it not time that Britain
      looked at the whole South Atlantic as a
      single strategy important part of the
      world. Chris Bryant, Parliamentary
      Under-Secretary for Foreign and Commonwealth
      Office said that the
      Honorable Gentleman, referring to Bob
      Russell, makes a very good point and
      I had many conversations with the Minister
      of Defense about ensuring that it
      recognises the financial requirements of
      Ascension Island. We also have a duty
      to stand by St Helena, and this was in a
      debate from last week.

      Yesturday Lord Jones of Colchester said
      to Saint FM/St. Helena Independent that
      he had put forward several questions in
      the House relating to the South Atlantic.

      He asked Her Majesty's Government,
      "what information they hold on shipwrecks
      around the Overseas Territories,
      and what measure have been taken to
      secure their historic value for the territories.".

      He also asked "what licensing
      and taxation system will be put in place
      in relation to exploration for and production
      of oil around the Falkland Islands
      and what proportion of revenues from
      licensing and production of oil around
      the Falkland Islands will be (a) retained
      by the Falkland Islands Government
      and (b) transferred to the United Kingdom
      Government's Overseas Territories'
      budget.". He further put forward
      questions about "if HMG will assess the
      advantages of forming a South Atlantic
      Federation of Overseas Territories for
      the Falkland Islands, St Helena, Ascension
      and Tristan da Cunha and if they
      will assess the advantages to (a) the
      Ministry of Defence and (b) the local
      populations of St Helena, Ascension
      and the Falkland Islands of using St
      Helena as an alternative airport for the
      Falkland Islands Airbridge service,
      once the airport is built on St Helena.".
    • Wolfgang Schaub
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 13, 2010
        To me humble on-looker, by-stander, the matter appears to be typical for a politician. They must move into some direction, if useful or not does not matter, they must move in order to be recognized.

        Wolfgang

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 13, 2010
          Could this be supported by large contractors who would profit from building the St. Helena airport?  Looks like it could result in putting the project on the "Fast Track."

          Marty Welfeld

          Sent from my iPhone

        • Simon Pipe
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 14, 2010
            This "federation" story first appeared in one of the UK national papers - can't remember which. s

            http://www.bbc.co.uk