Remembrance Sunday

  • bobconrich
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 15, 2009
      http://www.tristantimes.com/art_7081.html
      Tristan Notes Remembrance Sunday 2009
      Submitted by Tristan Times (Sarah Glass) 09.11.2009

      This year a combined service for Remembrance Day was held in St Joseph Catholic Church at 9am by Dereck Rogers, supported by Anne and James the Catholic Lay Ministers. The following is brief of what was said on behalf of those who died serving their country.

      The Photo Shows Left, Anne Green, Centre, Dereck Rogers and Right, James Glass at the Remembrance Sunday service. Photo (C) James Glass (Tristan Times)

      This year a combined service for Remembrance Day was held in St Joseph Catholic Church at 9am by Dereck Rogers, supported by Anne and James the Catholic Lay Ministers. The following is brief of what was said on behalf of those who died serving their country.

      This prayer written by Gord for a service back in 2007, it is profound and thought-provoking, so I thought it would be good to share it again. Although, it was amended to stipulate the present day (James Glass).

      God of peace and love, on this 11th day of the 11th month we once again gather to remember. We remember that in Jesus of Nazareth you have called us to be people of peace saying, “Blessed are the peacemakers” and reminding us that we are to love our neighbour and our enemy as we love ourselves. But we also acknowledge that there are times when we as a global community fail to live out those words, times when young men and women hear the call to don the uniforms of their country and serve under their flag.

      Today we give thanks for all who have chosen to serve their country. We give thanks for their bravery, their commitment, and their love.
      But we know that when armies meet on the field there are always some who don’t come home. And so we pause in the memory of those who went and did not return to mothers and wives and children left behind.

      We remember battles at Passchendale, and Vimy Ridge in the 1st world war. The war we were told would end all wars, battles where the blood of enemies mingled in the mud and water of France and Belgium. And we remember those who fell in the 2nd world war that came a scarce generation later. And again young men died in places like the Far East, North Africa and Normandy.

      We remember all who fell and were buried far from home, or who sank to a watery grave in the cold Atlantic and Pacific.

      And now, in these last few years we find that many of our young servicemen and women have returned to the battlefield, in Iraq and Afghanistan only to have many of them return in a coffin carried solemnly to a waiting aircraft.

      God, whose hope for the world is peace, on this day we remember the fallen of many wars that lie buried under a military tombstone. This day we honour all who die as a result of humanity’s common failing to live in the peace you have hoped for all these millennia.

      God, we pray too for those who returned from battle forever changed by what they had seen. For those who bore, and still bear, wounds of body and soul. In particular we remember those who have died since the last time we gathered to celebrate this day.

      And now, God of love, as we have remembered and honoured, we prepare to go back into our everyday lives. May the remembering we have done here today reawaken and strengthen our commitment to work for peace, true peace. Help us to remember that peace will never truly come from a gun barrel but from the depths of our hearts. Help us remember our calling to be peacemakers at home and abroad, in the big things and in the small. And may we never forget the cost that has already been paid.

      Amen

      After the sermon there was a TWO-minute silence ending with the words:
      ‘ They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
      Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
      At the going down of the sun, and in the morning;
      We will remember them.

      The island Administrator and Deputy Chief Islander carried wreaths to the altar, and during the service each read a eulogy, on behalf of the British Government and the Island Community.

      This year because the weather was very bad no ceremony took place at the Flagpole. Although after the service the wreaths were placed to rest in the sanctuary of St. Mary’s. This was to enable each place of worship to be involved in the ceremony. Next year the service will be held in St Mary’s.

      Sarah Glass