If God gives you lemons make lemonade.

  • Jacques
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2009
      Dear Sirs and Madams:

      Please excuse me for my impertinence and feel free to delete this message if I am out of line but there seems to me a solution is hitting me between the eyes. You see for the past months there seems to be a trend to think of the South Atlantic Alliance as a group of "good for nothing", non-productive, welfare states and I believe that I have an start of an idea to reverse that thought.

      The first step in this idea is to take advantage to the materials available. Let us use Tristan da Cunha and its archipelago as our case in point. It wasn't that many years ago the volcano in Tristan was active. Add to this the planet has been going through some unbelievable economic problems and one the worst hit is the island of Iceland. Now Iceland has one advantage over others it that it has spent a lot of time and money on developing Geothermal Energy and to give it a customer would be heavenly. Self-sustaining energy would be just a first step in the process and could be used elsewhere through-out the alliance. It could lead to an all-electric Tristan with no need of foreign energy sources.

      If that doesn't work then there are wind and solar options. Currently I live in Michigan, USA and my state is engaged in going after ever increasing green options for energy. Putting this to work is just a beginning.

      Also there are so many places that have separate advantages, for example Inaccessible Island. Now I feel strongly that keeping it a nature preserve is required but a couple of remotely operated observatories to collect data on incoming space junk could save the world and we need more southern eyes. I will not go out like the dinosaurs.

      My point is that there is nowhere that is useless but we need to think outside the box.

      Sincerely,

      James H. "Jacques" Goyett
      2281 Wyandotte Court
      Hamtramck, Michigan 48212-3607
      Phone: 313-875-5405
      Fax: 313-875-9289
      jacques.goyet@...
    • bobconrich
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2009
        --- In tristan-da-cunha@yahoogroups.com, "Jacques" <jacques.goyet@...> wrote:

        > Dear Sirs and Madams:
        >
        > Please excuse me for my impertinence and feel free to delete this message if I am out of line but there seems to me a solution is hitting me between the eyes. You see for the past months there seems to be a trend to think of the South Atlantic Alliance as a group of "good for nothing", non-productive, welfare states and I believe that I have an start of an idea to reverse that thought.
        >
        > The first step in this idea is to take advantage to the materials available. Let us use Tristan da Cunha and its archipelago as our case in point. It wasn't that many years ago the volcano in Tristan was active. Add to this the planet has been going through some unbelievable economic problems and one the worst hit is the island of Iceland. Now Iceland has one advantage over others it that it has spent a lot of time and money on developing Geothermal Energy and to give it a customer would be heavenly. Self-sustaining energy would be just a first step in the process and could be used elsewhere through-out the alliance. It could lead to an all-electric Tristan with no need of foreign energy sources.

        That's quite enough, thank you.

        Um...Iceland is...um...some distance from Tristan. How do you plan to transmit this free energy to the "good for nothing, non-productive, welfare state" people of Tristan? How, exactly, to you plan to get this "free energy to them from Iceland?

        Are you related to the woman who suggested that all the Islanders are descendants of prostitutes, or did you think this up all by yourself?

        Listen, Jacques, we, here at the asylum, think that help is available. Madness exacts its toll. Please have exact change ready.

        Yours faithfully, etc.

        Bob
      • Jacques Goyet
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 7, 2009

          Dear Bob (and all concerned):

          Whoa, boy.  That is not what was said or suggested.  We do not want Icelandic energy.  What we want is Icelandic Technology.  They’ve been doing this for years and have lots of experience in drilling and harvesting volcanic heat from the earth.  What we want is to learn how to do it and what we need to bring it home to Tristan, etc.

          The game plan here is to make Tristan, etc. independent and profitable.  Make it a nice place the people want to come to.

          Sincerely,

          Jacques Goyet

          2281 Wyandotte Court

          Hamtramck, Michigan   48212-3607

          Phone:  313/875-5405

          Fax:      313/875-9289

          jacques.goyet@...

          > Please excuse me for my impertinence and feel free to delete this message
          if I am out of line but there seems to me a solution is hitting me between the eyes. You see for the past months there seems to be a trend to think of the South Atlantic Alliance as a group of "good for nothing", non-productive, welfare states and I believe that I have an start of an idea to reverse that thought.

          > The first step in this idea is to take advantage to the materials
          available. Let us use Tristan da Cunha and its archipelago as our case in point. It wasn't that many years ago the volcano in Tristan was active. Add to this the planet has been going through some unbelievable economic problems and one the worst hit is the island of Iceland . Now Iceland has one advantage over others it that it has spent a lot of time and money on developing Geothermal Energy and to give it a customer would be heavenly. Self-sustaining energy would be just a first step in the process and could be used elsewhere through-out the alliance. It could lead to an all-electric Tristan with no need of foreign energy sources.

          That's quite enough, thank you.

          Um... Iceland is...um...some distance from Tristan. How do you plan to transmit this free energy to the "good for nothing, non-productive, welfare state" people of Tristan? How, exactly, to you plan to get this "free energy to them from Iceland ?

          Are you related to the woman who suggested that all the Islanders are descendants of prostitutes, or did you think this up all by yourself?

          Listen, Jacques, we, here at the asylum, think that help is available. Madness exacts its toll. Please have exact change ready.

          Yours faithfully, etc.

          Bob

        • Paul & Mel Young
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 7, 2009

            Could I just say, as a Tristanian myself I resent your discussion!!!! We ARE NOT A WELFARE STATE (We are NOT good for nothing NOR are we non productive, we look after ourselves very well and I think we are very productive, more than some I can mention!) we receive NO HANDOUTS from UK, not the kind that you are implying and if we do it is such a small amount it is not even noticeable, it would be funds/equipment to help erect a building etc. At the moment we could probably do with UK help but they don’t offer and we certainly will not ask!!

            I like how you Jacques suggest we should harvest volcanic heat from earth TO make it a nice place the people want to come to. IT SHOULD BE TO MAKE IT A NICE PLACE FOR THE TRISTANIANS TO LIVE!!!! We are Independent, maybe not as profitable as we would like to be, but that’s another mater that has no concern of yours.

            I suggest if you have a proposition for the Island you email the Administrator otherwise MIND YOUR OWN BUISNESS, the last thing that we Islanders need is malicious rumours from people like you!!

            Melanie Young (Ne Glass)