Re: [TdC] Worst Tristan History of the Month

  • dave flaat
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 8, 2009
      A mind is a horrible thing to waste....
      Dave Flaat

      --- On Mon, 6/8/09, jillienp@... <jillienp@...> wrote:

      From: jillienp@... <jillienp@...>
      Subject: Re: [TdC] Worst Tristan History of the Month
      To: tristan-da-cunha@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, June 8, 2009, 12:41 PM

      Awful . . .

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Bob Conrich <bob@eastcaribbean. com>
      To: tristan-da-cunha@ yahoogroups. com
      Sent: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 10:03 am
      Subject: [TdC] Worst Tristan History of the Month

      An English grad student, one Lottie Cantle, has started a new blog about the British Overseas Territories. In addition to suffering from the dreaded Grad Student Disease, which forces people to use big words they only vaguely understand, Mz Cantle has written a new and inventive history of Tristan in which we learn that the entire population of today's islanders is descended from two "prostitute sisters". I quote her alleged history in its entirety:

      "Tristan da Cunha: a cluster of volcanic islands, with others such as Inaccessable Island exemplifying its name sake. In 1961, the residents of the main island were removed in anticipation of a volcanic eruption and returned from their temporal living-setup in Surrey to live since, in 1963. Genetic research has identified the strand of asthma that has so recently been rife amongst the two hundred and fifty islander, to have derived from the two prostitute sisters that were instrumental in beginning reproduction on the Territory in the early 19th century."

      "Post a Comment", she kindly offers at the bottom of the page.
      http://is.gd/ TmXU.