Re: [TdC] Hello from Canada

  • colin brewer
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 23, 2008
      Welcome !

      I'm just a watcher within the group as I have never been, but there are many fascinating tales and facts about the magical and almost fictional place that is Tristan-da cunha...I want to go and experience it for myself but with 3 kids and all of the nonsense that comes from living in London I fear it will be some time before my dream comes true.
      with the world in financial and social turmoil now Tristan could be the ultimate place on Earth!

      Colin

      NEW ADDRESS & NUMBER

      Colin Brewer
      Director and head of entertainment
      dragon slayer
      all round good egg
      with special powers and that

      Sorted Productions Ltd
      32 Chambers Lane
      London
      NW102RJ

      W: 020 8459 6777
      M: 07977 237280
      S: 020 8816 7705

       please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 23, 2008

        Welcome Colin

        Tristan has REALLY changed over the last 5 years

        We got married there in 2002 and went back in 2005 to get our daughter christened
        I couldn't beleve the difference, many social changes, not all for the better.

        Our 19yr old is back there now for a few months and even he is shocked, the last few days
        he has spent a couple of hours each day in the Internet cafe, I guess contacting friends over here

        When we went in 2002 I would have upped an moved there in an instant...
        • Phones were a novelty & there were only 2
        • Internet was a novelty & really expensive
        • Email was a novelty & expensive
        • Fax was too expensive
        • A few cars but not so many as to cause a traffic jam
        • TV was BFBS Channel 1 (I think)
        • Video recorders & CRT TV's
        • Fish processing Factory
        • The islanders had a sense of community
        Now they have
        • Taxes & huge rises in the cost of living
        • Phones in the houses, Local rate to UK & visa-versa
        • Full broadband & Wireless Internet
        • Yahoo email addresses coming out of their ears
        • online fax services
        • Loads of cars
        • TV is still BFBS Channel 1 (I think)
        • DVD's & Plasma/TFT  TV's
        • No fish processing factory (it burnt down)
        • The islanders still have a sense of community
        I love the place and might go again someday, not quite sure yet

        If you get the chance to go then you'll really enjoy it, might even see you there

        Paul