Child abuse and other insults

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2008
      The Centre for Children and Youth, based at the University of
      Northampton, claims to have built up a national and international
      reputation for its multidisciplinary research and consultancy work.

      Established in 1997, the Centre has recently added its support and
      expertise to Children Webmag, funding the role of the e-journal.

      Their monthly "Children Webmag" has just been published at
      http://tinyurl.com/6kv4fz and says in part:

      "The situation was even worse in Tristan da Cunha, where it seemed
      that a sizeable percentage of the tiny male population were abusing
      the girls and young women, to the point that this conduct was
      virtually the norm for the island. If it becomes the norm, can it be
      deemed normal for that community, or is child abuse always abuse,
      wherever it takes place? If it is, how do we make sure that closed
      communities such as islands avoid such practices?"

      I have submitted the following Comment: I tried to be polite. It was
      difficult.

      Your comment is awaiting moderation.
      September 1st, 2008 at 12:50 am

      Your allegations about the men of Tristan da Cunha are entirely
      incorrect. I think you may be confusing Tristan with Pitcairn.

      They are both small, remote British Overseas Territories, but the
      first is in the South Atlantic and the second in the Pacific.