New Fish Factory

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2008
      It is not true that there's no power. As I understand it, there is
      power, but it's a temporary system that would be insufficient for the
      factory.

      Bob

      Independent Online
      South Africa
      Lifeline for island lobster fishermen
      June 07 2008 at 04:02PM
      By Clayton Barnes

      Cape Town-based manufacturing company Anchor Steel is building a
      state-of-the-art fishing factory for Tristan da Cunha after the old
      lobster factory was destroyed in a fire four months ago.

      The new factory, set to open at the start of the 2009 fishing season,
      was designed and manufactured in Cape Town and will be shipped to the
      south Atlantic Ocean island as soon as the island crane, which broke a
      few weeks after the fire, is repaired.

      Factory owner Andrew James, from Ovenstone Agencies, said their first
      priority was to get the crane fixed so that the equipment and building
      material can get onto the island.

      He said he was working with the local authorities to either rebuild or
      repair the crane.

      "After the crane is operational, our second aim will be to get the
      power plant up and running again."

      James said everything was destroyed in the February 13 fire, which was
      allegedly caused by an electrical fault.

      "There is no power on Tristan at the moment, so that is our number one
      priority once the crane is repaired," he said. "Then we will look at
      ways of getting the equipment and building material onto the island."

      James said the factory's closure was a great loss to the more than 100
      islanders who worked there.

      "The factory was an integral part of their lives and their only source
      of income," he said.

      "For this year's fishing season, which starts in July, the islanders
      will work on a boat we call our 'floating fish factory', from where
      they will catch Tristan lobster."

      The factory's operations manager, Dorrien Venn, said the factory would
      be built to European Union standards to access all fishing markets.

      Anchor Steel CEO John Lumby said the structures were ready and waiting
      to be transported to the island.

      The new factory will be uniquely designed, as builders took the
      island's environmental conditions into account. It is able to
      withstand wind speeds of 100 knots and seismic activities up to 7.5 on
      the Richter scale.

      "Anchor Steel has designed a very sturdy, fit-for-the-purpose building
      that will serve the island and lobster operation for many years to
      come - well beyond Ovenstone's current horizon of 2016. We look
      forward to using the building for some time to come," said James.

      Tristan's fishing industry has been the mainstay of a largely
      self-supporting economy since 1949 when the first canning factory was
      built.

      It was totally destroyed during a 1961 volcanic eruption, engulfed by
      lava which, as well as destroying the buildings also ignited more than
      110 000 litres of diesel fuel.

      The factory was operated by Ovenstone and provided the hub of the
      local fishing industry.

      o This article was originally published on page 9 of The
      Star on June 07, 2008. © 2008 Independent Online. All rights strictly
      reserved.