Fire Update from today's St. Helena Independent

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 22, 2008
      Two articles, the first by the Tristan Administrator

      David Morley issued a Public Notice to the
      community on Friday 15th February reporting
      on the teamwork which has already resulted
      in some restoration of normality to
      the stricken Settlement.

      Following the fire at the Factory, the community
      will be interested to know what
      plans are being put in place to replace it,
      as well as install a new power plant. I've
      been working closely with Andrew James
      and he's asked me to inform the community
      of what's going to happen next.

      Ovenstone's strategy is as follows:
      Immediately work towards normalising the
      Community's power supply with the
      standby generator set already installed.
      Ovenstone has procured a new generator
      (it should be in Cape Town on Monday)
      and we are working towards shipping it
      down here as soon as possible, we hope
      on the Lyme Bay . When we get this new
      set we may be able to return to 24-hour
      electricity;

      It is crucial that this accident does not disrupt
      the plans for the harbour repair project.
      I'm glad to confirm that it remains on track.
      The Royal Engineers will be self sufficient
      in power so will not require any of "our"
      electricity. The only challenges outstanding
      are to power up the factory crane and
      replace the ship-shore fuel and water lines.
      Solutions have already been found to resolve
      these issues.

      The final phase will be to start the planning
      process for a new Generator Room
      (first priority), then a brand new Factory
      and Cold Store. The objective here is to
      build modern facilities that will support the
      future development of the Tristan
      economy. For example, the factory will be
      built to EU standards and will have improved
      holding tank and processing capacities
      that will facilitate greater whole and
      value added production. Erik and Gert will
      be returning to Tristan in early March on
      the Edinburgh to take forward these plans.

      It is Ovenstone's intention to work with the
      community to overcome this disaster to the
      mutual benefit of both partners. I want the
      community to know how seriously
      Ovenstone is treating this matter and that
      they are fully committed to building betterthan-
      ever facilities.

      However, it is clearly a huge challenge to
      plan, design, deliver materials and build a
      plant room, factory and cold store. This
      isn't going to happen before the start of
      next season. At best Ovenstone anticipate
      the earliest they can have the factory
      completed is by the end of this year or
      during the first quarter of 2009. The plant
      room we think can be done much earlier,
      depending upon equipment availability and
      Tristan weather this winter.

      Ovenstone is working flat out at the moment
      on getting us a new generator as well
      as spending a great deal of time liaising
      with their insurance company. An assessor
      will be visiting Tristan as soon as possible
      to have a look at the factory site and
      make a formal report. During the next few
      days I will be exploring the implications of
      all this with Ovenstone, in particular what
      can be done to mitigate the potential loss
      of income to Tristan. As a first step Council
      will be discussing the issue on Monday.
      The Factory site remains out of bounds to
      everyone. If anyone sets foot on the site it
      may cause Ovenstone problems with its
      insurance claim, which could have very
      serious implications for us.

      Meanwhile work continues to connect up
      the remaining amenities. I'm glad to say
      that we can still spare enough power to
      run the swimming pool pump so I hope as
      many children as possible will take advantage
      of the excellent weather. Some of you
      may have noticed (or smelt) that Alan and
      his team are removing the ruined product
      from the factory site. This will be buried at
      Pigbite to avoid it becoming a health hazard.

      I'd like to take this opportunity to congratulate
      and thank all those who have worked
      so hard to restore life in the Settlement to
      something approaching normality. The
      Governor, who telephoned me on Wednesday,
      also passes on his support, sympathy
      and very best wishes for the future as we
      begin the process of overcoming this setback.
      D J Morley Administrator 15 February
      2008

      The importance of Fishing to Tristan's Economy

      Background to Tristan da Cunha's Fish
      Processing Factory by tristandc.com's
      Manager Richard Grundy

      Tristan da Cunha's fishing industry has
      been the mainstay of a largely self-supporting
      economy since 1949 when the first canning
      factory was built on Big Beach. It was
      totally destroyed during the 1961 volcanic
      eruption, engulfed by lava which, as well
      as destroying the buildings also ignited
      30,000 gallons of diesel fuel.

      The modern factory is operated by
      Ovenstones Pty Ltd and provided the hub
      of the local fishing industry. Tristan da
      Cunha waters are fished entirely by Islanders
      who go out from Calshot Harbour in
      the season (July - December or January)
      in small power boats on fine days. The
      catch of Crawfish (also known as Crayfish
      and marketed as Tristan Rock Lobster), is
      brought back to the Tristan Factory, where
      is it processed and frozen for export. MV
      Edinburgh also carries out extended fishing
      trips around the outer islands of Nightingale,
      Inaccessible and Gough. The fishery
      is expertly managed and a strict quota
      system has ensured a sustainable harvest.
      There are a group of permanent factory
      employees, but this small group is swollen
      on fishing days by men (and from 2007 one
      woman apprentice) who are permitted to
      switch from their Government employment,
      to work for the factory. The factory also employs
      many Islanders who work part-time
      on fishing days to process the fish. The island
      community benefits from wages paid
      to locals, by royalties from the sale of crawfish,
      from electricity generated by the factory's
      diesel generators (24/7 in recent
      years) and by the provision of nine scheduled
      sailings from Cape Town by the vessels
      MV Edinburgh and MV Kelso, which
      gives the island its transport lifeline for people
      and goods.

      If you want to help the Tristan da Cunha
      community, one of the best way is to join
      the UK-based Tristan da Cunha Association,
      who exist to support the island - see
      the Association Pages for more information.
    • Nai Enob
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 22, 2008
        Are not phrases like 'the community will be interested
        to know what plans are being put in place'indicative
        of a community where decisions are taken by the
        Administrastor and 'the community informed'? Is this
        not the situation perceived many years ago on his
        second visit by Peter Munch? Are not the
        Administrator's actions indicative of the UK
        government's urge to make Tristan economically self
        sufficient by inflicting alien work patterns on the
        community?

        Sent from Yahoo! Mail.
        A Smarter Inbox. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
      • Schaub
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 23, 2008

          Bob,

          They are "working closely", "teamwork", thy have a "srategy", everything else "remains on track", against all "challenges outstanding", "The final phase will be to start the planning", "to the

          mutual benefit", "fully committed", "better-than-ever", but a "huge challenge to plan".

          Anyway, good to see that "Ovenstone is working flat out".

          Bob, you can't believe how I love this talk. It's exactly the language I had gotten used to in my old company, once it had been taken over by externals, you know those young, "forward-looking" dynamic guys.

          The company passed away silently towards end of 1999. How long will Tristan still be alive?

          Wolfgang

          -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 23, 2008
            Well said Wolfgang - this kind of happy clappy talk by
            the Administrator seems to be swallowed wholesale by
            most people on this site. It's a substitute for the
            real comunity feeling there used to be on Tristan
            before the.....er.... Adminstrators turned up.
            --- Schaub <Wolfgang.Schaub@...>
            wrote:

            > Bob,
            >
            > They are "working closely", "teamwork", thy have a
            > "srategy", everything
            > else "remains on track", against all "challenges
            > outstanding", "The final
            > phase will be to start the planning", "to the
            >
            > mutual benefit", "fully committed",
            > "better-than-ever", but a "huge
            > challenge to plan".
            >
            > Anyway, good to see that "Ovenstone is working flat
            > out".
            >
            > Bob, you can't believe how I love this talk. It's
            > exactly the language I had
            > gotten used to in my old company, once it had been
            > taken over by externals,
            > you know those young, "forward-looking" dynamic
            > guys.
            >
            > The company passed away silently towards end of
            > 1999. How long will Tristan
            > still be alive?
            >
            > Wolfgang
            >

            > -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----

            === message truncated ===

            Sent from Yahoo! Mail.
            A Smarter Inbox. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
          • woodard214
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 23, 2008
              It might be as well if non-Tristaners were to refrain from
              attributing feelings or views to islanders which the foreigners think
              they ought to have. I suspect that Lord Curzon himself would have
              been more tactful and less colonialist than these two posts of
              Wolfgang and Nai Enob.

              The factory is owned off-island and it's entirely natural for the
              islanders to wish to know what the owners' plans are.

              If anyone would like to know what Tristeners think, and whether they
              want off-island investment or help from the British government, I
              suggest that they ask.

              Doug Woodard
              St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

              --- In tristan-da-cunha@yahoogroups.com, Nai Enob <asgwrn@...> wrote:

              > Well said Wolfgang - this kind of happy clappy talk by
              > the Administrator seems to be swallowed wholesale by
              > most people on this site. It's a substitute for the
              > real comunity feeling there used to be on Tristan
              > before the.....er.... Adminstrators turned up.
              > --- Schaub <Wolfgang.Schaub@...>
              > wrote:
              >
              > > Bob,
              > >
              > > They are "working closely", "teamwork", thy have a
              > > "srategy", everything
              > > else "remains on track", against all "challenges
              > > outstanding", "The final
              > > phase will be to start the planning", "to the
              > >
              > > mutual benefit", "fully committed",
              > > "better-than-ever", but a "huge
              > > challenge to plan".
              > >
              > > Anyway, good to see that "Ovenstone is working flat
              > > out".
              > >
              > > Bob, you can't believe how I love this talk. It's
              > > exactly the language I had
              > > gotten used to in my old company, once it had been
              > > taken over by externals,
              > > you know those young, "forward-looking" dynamic
              > > guys.
              > >
              > > The company passed away silently towards end of
              > > 1999. How long will Tristan
              > > still be alive?
              > >
              > > Wolfgang

              [snip]
            • mrftbred@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 23, 2008
                I think this is really well said! It's always interesting to see how long it takes the same very negative people to respond when there is any kind of crisis. Their take on any situation is always the worst and most critical.

                Over the years I don't recall ever reading a positive comment from at least one of the correspondent's referred to. Referring to this particular Administrator and his role, I was very interested to read recently such a very positive endorsement by the Chief Islander about the way in which he has gone about his work on their behalf.

                Let's at least give them all (Ovenstones in particular) a chance to sort things out before we assume the worst outcome.

                Regards

                Martin Flower

                It might be as well if non-Tristaners were to refrain from
                attributing feelings or views to islanders which the foreigners think
                they ought to have. I suspect that Lord Curzon himself would have
                been more tactful and less colonialist than these two posts of
                Wolfgang and Nai Enob.

                The factory is owned off-island and it's entirely natural for the
                islanders to wish to know what the owners' plans are.

                If anyone would like to know what Tristeners think, and whether they
                want off-island investment or help from the British government, I
                suggest that they ask.

                Doug Woodard
                St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

                --- In tristan-da-cunha@ yahoogroups. com, Nai Enob <asgwrn@...> wrote:

                > Well said Wolfgang - this kind of happy clappy talk by
                > the Administrator seems to be swallowed wholesale by
                > most people on this site. It's a substitute for the
                > real comunity feeling there used to be on Tristan
                > before the.....er.. .. Adminstrators turned up.
                > --- Schaub <Wolfgang.Schaub@ ...>
                > wrote:
                >
                > > Bob,
                > >
                > > They are "working closely", "teamwork", thy have a
                > > "srategy", everything
                > > else "remains on track", against all "challenges
                > > outstanding" , "The final
                > > phase will be to start the planning", "to the
                > >
                > > mutual benefit", "fully committed",
                > > "better-than- ever", but a "huge
                > > challenge to plan".
                > >
                > > Anyway, good to see that "Ovenstone is working flat
                > > out".
                > >
                > > Bob, you can't believe how I love this talk. It's
                > > exactly the language I had
                > > gotten used to in my old company, once it had been
                > > taken over by externals,
                > > you know those young, "forward-looking" dynamic
                > > guys.
                > >
                > > The company passed away silently towards end of
                > > 1999. How long will Tristan
                > > still be alive?
                > >
                > > Wolfgang

                [snip]

                AOL's new homepage has launched. Take a tour now.