MicroHydro

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 29, 2008
      Hi Alan,

      It's a bit more complicated than some realise. As part of the deal
      with Ovenstone, the factory supplies electricity for the entire
      community, at no cost to the islanders, as I understand it. So the
      cost of electrical generation is not a popular issue, as it is in many
      places.

      The factory manager's name is Erik and he and his wife have this blog:
      http://erikclaire.wordpress.com/
      I suggest that he would be a good person to start discussions with.

      Bob
    • Paul & Mel Young
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 29, 2008
        Actually Bob the islanders do have to pay for electricity

        My Mother-In-Law pays approx £16 - £20 per month for her electricity

        Nearly the same as the UK was about 3 years ago (Well at least us anyway)

        I gave them a petrol Generator when we went in 2002 but petrol is rare now
        They arn't importing very much petrol so all future vehicles will have to be
        diesel

        I was on the Lyme bay on Sunday, they are all looking forward to Tristan
        none of them have ever been there before !! should be interesting!!!

        Anyway

        Cheers

        Paul & Mel

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 29, 2008
          Paul, thank you. I was misinformed. Given the wage scale there, it
          seems hydro could be of real benefit to the people.

          This is what I was told about the water supply:

          "The trouble with the water that comes down from Base is 1) that is is
          not regular - there is only a small stream in the village that is
          permanent; and 2) all other water comes down in inaccessible places, and
          the costs of making use of it would be horrendous. This is money the
          British government I am sure would not want to pony up, and I'm not sure
          the islanders would want it."

          Aside from a small group of alternative energy hobbyists, most people
          don't care all that much where their electricity comes from or how
          it's generated. They care more about cost and reliability. The
          islanders may be no different from the rest of us in this regard.
        • alan_drake@juno.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 29, 2008
            Microhydro, and later wind, might supply only a (hopefully large) fraction of the power with diesel making up the balance.

            Unless, of course a large pond (at lest one exists at some elevation) could be tapped on demand and the resource readily available exceeds the communities needs. Then the diesel set could be reserved for emergency use.

            It is significantly less difficult to transport electricity from a somewhat remote part of the island (the closer the better of course) than it is potable water.

            And since diesel will remain in place, a hydropower source that provides 100% of the electricity after a modest rain and 12% after a prolonged dry spell could be of significant economic value to the islanders. (One would not want a source of potable water that only met 12% of ones needs at times). Add some wind power (with both hydro and diesel to stabilize the grid) and the diesel bill could be well reduced.

            And such schemes are certainly worthy of EU or UK grants from different sources.

            IMHO, the upcoming visit by a group of competent civil engineers is an opportunity to define what options are available, at least roughly. The first step.

            I have written on the linked blog. What otehr steps (write the Chief Islander ? His eMail address ?)

            Best Hopes,

            Alan

            -- "Bob Conrich" <bob@...> wrote:
[...]

            Click for free information on accounting careers, $150/hour potential.
            http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2121/fc/Ioyw6i3l7D4HOa5FRIU5LHCH7jrOMvsCDaR4FK2W46Vd4vnKwqbBjw/
          • gigh@rogers.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 29, 2008

              Gentlemen,

              Having just come upon your discussion pertaining to alternative energy sources, I was compelled to write.

              Given the unique location of Tristan Da Cunha , would it not be more prudent to consider using wave power as a viable energy source. A series of buoys tethered to the ocean floor within close proximity to the shoreline could convert the cyclical wave motion into admissible electrical energy. Unlike wind, solar and fossil fuels, electricity produced in such a manner would be available 24/7.

              There might also be an added bonus and further reason for considering such a proposition. Placed strategically, nearby the enterance of Calshot Harbour it may even provide a means of offering some protection or wave moderation. Granted, I am really stretching at this point.

              Gig Hofstetter

              Mississauga, Canada

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 29, 2008
                Gig,

                Has this been done anywhere successfully? In the open ocean for more
                than a few months?

                --- In tristan-da-cunha@yahoogroups.com, "gigh@..." <gigh@...> wrote:

                > Gentlemen,
                >
                > Having just come upon your discussion pertaining to alternative energy
                > sources, I was compelled to write.
                >
                > Given the unique location of Tristan Da Cunha, would it not be more
                > prudent to consider using wave power as a viable energy source. A series
                > of buoys tethered to the ocean floor within close proximity to the
                > shoreline could convert the cyclical wave motion into admissible
                > electrical energy. Unlike wind, solar and fossil fuels, electricity
                > produced in such a manner would be available 24/7.
                >
                > There might also be an added bonus and further reason for considering
                > such a proposition. Placed strategically, nearby the enterance of
                > Calshot Harbour it may even provide a means of offering some protection
                > or wave moderation. Granted, I am really stretching at this point.
                >
                > Gig Hofstetter
                >
                > Mississauga, Canada
              • Gig Hofstetter
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 29, 2008

                  Hi Bob,

                  After, sending you that email, I started thinking about exactly the same thought.

                  I ended up finding some information at the Oregon State University that depicts exactly what I had in mind. They call it a “Linear Generator Buoy”; I have attached a picture, which gives you a great visual. Tests have shown that a single buoy measuring three metres high, bobbing up and down in the ocean, could produce 250 kilowatts. In their example, they figured 250 buoys comprising an electrical grid, could light the City of Portland, Oregon (located in the USA , North West ). Granted the population at 537,000 does not begin to compare with that of Tristan da Cunha, but it does make you wonder what a single float is capable of providing for its’ some 280 inhabitants.

                  They were using wave heights that measured anywhere between 1.5 to 3.0 metres

                  It would seem that they have done some preliminary testing. Including tests in Hawaii , Portugal and England . I have attached here a web site that discusses the concept and results in more detail, http://ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=35125

                  I hope you find this reading worthy of your attention.

                  Gig Hofstetter

                  Has this been done anywhere successfully? In the open ocean for more
                  than a few months?

                  --- In tristan-da-cunha@ yahoogroups. com, "gigh@..." <gigh@...> wrote:

                  > Gentlemen,
                  >
                  > Having just come upon your discussion pertaining to alternative energy
                  > sources, I was compelled to write.
                  >
                  > Given the unique location of Tristan Da Cunha ,
                  would it not be more
                  > prudent to consider using wave power as a viable energy source. A series
                  > of buoys tethered to the ocean floor within close proximity to the
                  > shoreline could convert the cyclical wave motion into admissible
                  > electrical energy. Unlike wind, solar and fossil fuels, electricity
                  > produced in such a manner would be available 24/7.
                  >
                  > There might also be an added bonus and further reason for considering
                  > such a proposition. Placed strategically, nearby the enterance of
                  > Calshot
                  w:st="on">Harbour it may even provide a means of offering some protection
                  > or wave moderation. Granted, I am really stretching at this point.
                  >
                  > Gig Hofstetter
                  >
                  > Mississauga ,
                  w:st="on">Canada

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 30, 2008
                    Gig, thanks for the further information. I suppose one of these
                    tethered buoy-generators could be made as big as an ocean liner. If
                    it worked, Tristan would have so much excess energy they could import
                    bauxite and make aluminium for export, like they do in Dubai, where
                    they have very cheap energy. If the Tristanians had a decent harbour.

                    Keeping this floating monster tethered, however, poses some
                    engineering challenges and it seems better to try to work these out in
                    Oregon instead of a place that's so difficult and expensive to get to.

                    I am in awe of developmental engineers who are working on tomorrow's
                    technology, but I'm more of a public works type guy, interested in
                    proven technology that can be maintained in the field by people who
                    don't have to be rocket scientists.

                    I like to quote St. Lucia educator, Dr. Didacus Jules:

                    Keep it simple
                    Keep it affordable
                    Keep it focused
                    Keep it attainable

                    Bob
                  • Marc SERRAU
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 31, 2008
                      Bonjour,

                      What kind of river or torrent exist on Tristan ?
                      Is there any lake not too close from the sea level ?
                      If not, hydraulic structure will require a dam with reservoir in order
                      to feed the turbine with a constant flow. The size (and altitude) of the
                      reservoir can be determined from the power needs and rain level at
                      Tristan. Based on what I read on the island, I can say that the rain
                      level is high, so hydraulic powerplant could replace a lot of costly
                      diesel. Based on sustainable energy litterature, I can say that multi
                      sources energy is the best solution. Wind and water can provide a lot of
                      power on a regular basis on such an island. Do not erase solar power
                      solutions too fast. It could be (if not yet) even interesting for
                      domestic water warming.

                      Regards,

                      Marc SERRAU