Christmas on Tristan...and a funneral

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2008
      From the blog, "Erik & Claire on Tristan da Cunha
      2008!
      January 7, 2008 — erikclaire

      The last two weeks have been absolutely wonderful as we have both been
      at home and have been making the most of the time to rest and relax
      and spend some time together (normally bickering about who makes the
      most mess) and spend time with Caitlin (who is currently ahead in the
      polls as `mess maker of 2007/8'). We've been doing quite a bit of
      visiting to drop off Christmas presents, and have a bit of a natter
      with our island neighbours. It's amazing that, despite living within a
      fairly short distance of each other, we find that we end up seeing
      very little of our friends in the village. Christmas does offer an
      opportunity to visit and we have made the most of it. We had good
      intentions of dropping all our gifts off before Christmas day, and had
      planned on averaging 4-5 gifts per day for the week leading up to
      Christmas! Ha! At an hour or more a visit and Erik and I only really
      getting going in the early afternoon, we have been lucky to average 2
      visits a day - with the accompanying drinks and gossip at each house.

      This year we were also really honoured to be invited to `family'
      functions with islanders - something we hope is an indication that
      they don't mind us too much!

      Christmas day in our house was total chaos, with the carpet around our
      tree piled high with presents - most of them for Caitlin. Children
      here are the total focus of Christmas, and in many cases, families
      seem to forego presents for the adults in favour of the kids. We have
      taken most of the presents Caitlin was given and put them in our back
      room, and give her a new toy every now and then, as she wouldn't know
      what to do with herself or the gifts, if she had them all at once.

      Erik has finally given in to his beachcombing ways and now has the
      whole village talking about him being `Steptoe' and just needing the
      `Son'. We've decided to take a liberty and change the name to Steptoe
      and Daughters, as there aren't likely to be any more kids - well, not
      from this union anyway….

      Sadly Hubert Green (82) passed away on Saturday 5th January. It was
      really very unexpected, but fortunately (is it appropriate to use that
      word?) seems it was fairly quick, which is a blessing, but a great
      loss for the island.

      I went to the funeral to represent the `family' and was very touched
      to see how funerals are conducted here (this being my first funeral
      attended on Tristan). The eulogy was very personal, as of course,
      everyone knew Hubert, and it was lovely to see so many people
      attending, to show their respects.

      I believe the funeral procession normally starts from the hospital and
      consists of the priest and lay ministers, along with the `hearse' and
      family and friends who walk behind alongside to the church. The
      service is normally fairly short, but there is a section for the
      reading of emails and messages from islanders who are currently off
      island and it was really touching to hear how many of them had taken
      the time and trouble to write to express their sense of loss and send
      best wishes and thoughts to the families.

      From the church, we all proceeded to the graveyard, where the final
      internment is done. The family then, I believe, proceed home for a
      wake. It was all very touching and a reminder again just how different
      this community is in so many, many ways.

      We are hoping to have a good number of fishing days before the end of
      January, so that Erik and the guys can complete the quota and Erik can
      then, hopefully, travel home with me toward the end of February. A
      good friend of mine is getting married and I need to leave in Feb in
      order to make her wedding in March.

      One of my resolutions this year is to write more often, so let's see
      if I manage it…