Re: [TdC] Digest Number 727

  • Nat Case
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2007
      Re: [TdC] Digest Number 727
      What about Shangri-la? the palace of Kublai Khan? The mountain fastnesses of the dwarves of whatever it was? I think what you say is generally true, because water forms such a physical barrier, but mountains and truly vast distances (now sadly extinct) have much the same effect, as do impenetrable political barriers (how much more mysterious Japan appeared to the west before its opening! And how odd and distant North Korea appears today.)

      We may want to buy an island to live on oour own, but I think the same instinct inspires those who want a gated manse or a cabin deep in the north woods.

      Nat Case
      Minneapolis

      Vagabond X wrote:
      Although a continental community may be in fact more isolated than some islands, islands are  psychologically places apart, completely cut off from other lands and therefore separate.

      --

      Nat Case
      Hedberg Maps, Inc