Letter to Tristan

  • frane_pe
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 29, 2006
      Hello
      i mailed a registered letter to Tristan on MAy 2nd 2006. however i do
      not receive an answer yet. my question is: does the South Africa
      postal service check/register/scan/ the letters that are received by
      them going further to tristan da cunha?
      what postal service is contacted to check and verify if the letter
      arrived to its destination? i really think it is very difficult for a
      postal service, USPS, Canada postes, Deutsche Post or any other to
      contact Tristan da cunha post office. because, how would they do it!
      does any body know? my receipt says that letter was mailed to South
      africa.
      thank you
      francesco
    • Wolfgang Schaub
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 29, 2006
        Hello Francesco,

        The procedure - as far as Germany is concerned - would always be to contact the HOME postal service. You would need to complete a form, claim your losses and wait. Again, as far as Germany is concerned, you would wait around 6 weeks - in "normal" cases - and get notified that either your letter has been duly delivered at a certain date, or you would be refunded something around 20 Euros. No more than 20 Euros!

        I guess where postal services are privatized the procedure is either not in place or you get pushed off, since search activities impair profits.

        I also guess that the South African postal service felt compelled to register the letter, so people took it out from the normal bag, and the many hands through which it wandered thereafter did not know the way back into the bag anymore.

        From the time I worked as a postman in my student times I also know registered mail has a tendency to get lost in "developing" countries - people assume it contains valuables and steal it. And South Africa being an African country...

        Thd best you can do is NEVER send a registered letter - see above: 20 Euro is the limit.

        Good luck,

        Wolfgang

        -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----