Re: [TdC] Re: Tristan as part of the Scottish Empire

  • margaret kean
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 26, 2006
      would your father have known philip lindsay who was a
      missionary on tristan .He came in 1927, and stayed
      with a family named swain or so I have been told. He
      met the evacuees in southampton when the volcano
      erupted in the 1960's.He was my grandfather and i am
      really interested to find if anybody knows some of his
      history of his time on the island.
      In appreciation
      Margaret Kean. England

      http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/travel/story.jsp?
      > story=699233
      > > is an interesting article entitled:
      > >
      > > "The Complete Guide To The Scottish Empire
      > > From the Americas to the Antipodes, the influence
      > of the Scottish
      > diaspora can be felt in cultures around the world.
      > Frank
      > > Partridge follows the trail"
      > >
      > > It includes the following misinformation on
      > getting to Tristan
      > > on the RMS:
      > >
      > > "In 1821, a soldier from Kelso, Corporal William
      > Glass, took his
      > wife and children to Tristan da Cunha, a volcanic
      > outpost
      > > 1400 miles west of Cape Town, to establish another
      > settlement. The
      > Glass name is still prevalent among the 300-strong
      > > community. The only village, Edinburgh, has a
      > grocery store, radio
      > station, caf? video shop, swimming pool, and a
      > police
      > > station with a single officer. You can reach the
      > island via St
      > Helena, accessible on RMS St Helena - which you can
      > pick up
      > > from Portland (Dorset), Cape Town or Tenerife. For
      > more on the
      > island and getting there call 00 290 2158 or see
      > > www.sthelenatourism.com."

      > > Robert S. Conrich, ACIArb
      > > Box 666
      > > Anguilla bob@...
      > > British West Indies Tel:
      > 264 497 2505

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Randy Swain-Johnson
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2006
        Hi Magaret,

        Unfortunately, I would not know. My father was born in 1931 and passed away in 1992.

        My grandfather was born on Tristan and moved to Cape Town and raised his family there. I'm also trying to search for Swains who remember my grandfather.

        Good luck with your search and sorry for not being of more help.

        Yours sincerely,
        Randy (London)

        --- randybsj <randybsj@yahoo. co.uk> wrote:

        > This could make for interesting rivalry on the
        > island especially
        > when it comes to sport or dare I say poltics!
        >
        > Do the islanders deem themselves English or British?
        > My forefathers
        > and myfather, Joseph Swain, always claimed to be
        > English and not
        > British so it would indeed be of some interest to
        > see if the Glasses
        > has maintained some of their Scottish Heritage on
        > the Island.
        >

        > Randy
        >
        > --- In tristan-da-cunha@ yahoogroups. com, Bob Conrich
        > <bob@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > In today's Belfast Telegraph:

        http://www.belfastt elegraph. co.uk/lifestyle/ travel/story. jsp?
        > story=699233
        > > is an interesting article entitled:
        > >
        > > "The Complete Guide To The Scottish Empire
        > > From the Americas to the Antipodes, the influence
        > of the Scottish
        > diaspora can be felt in cultures around the world.
        > Frank
        > > Partridge follows the trail"
        > >
        > > It includes the following misinformation on
        > getting to Tristan
        > > on the RMS:
        > >
        > > "In 1821, a soldier from Kelso, Corporal William
        > Glass, took his
        > wife and children to Tristan da Cunha, a volcanic
        > outpost
        > > 1400 miles west of Cape Town, to establish another
        > settlement. The
        > Glass name is still prevalent among the 300-strong
        > > community. The only village, Edinburgh, has a
        > grocery store, radio
        > station, caf? video shop, swimming pool, and a
        > police
        > > station with a single officer. You can reach the
        > island via St
        > Helena, accessible on RMS St Helena - which you can
        > pick up
        > > from Portland (Dorset), Cape Town or Tenerife. For
        > more on the
        > island and getting there call 00 290 2158 or see
        > > www.sthelenatourism .com."

        > > Robert S. Conrich, ACIArb
        > > Box 666
        > > Anguilla bob@...
        > > British West Indies Tel:
        > 264 497 2505

        Do You Yahoo!?
        http://mail. yahoo.com

        Inbox full of spam? Get leading spam protection and 1GB storage with All New Yahoo! Mail.