Photos

  • R.Gering@student.uni-tuebingen.de
    Message 1 of 6 , May 4, 2001
      Hello,

      there are now 25 photos and maps of Tristan da Cunha, including one
      photo of Nightingale and a beautiful sunset. If you want to see them,
      just go to the files of our group's homepage. I will not resond to any
      questions, becauce if you were able to become a member of this group,
      you should be able to find our files. Also, I ask you to send any
      comments to the whole group and not to my private e-mail account.

      Ralf
    • Peter Hauptmanns
      Message 2 of 6 , May 4, 2001
        Ralph,

        > there are now 25 photos and maps of Tristan da Cunha, including one
        > photo of Nightingale and a beautiful sunset. If you want to see them,
        > just go to the files of our group's homepage. I will not resond to any
        > questions, becauce if you were able to become a member of this group,
        > you should be able to find our files. Also, I ask you to send any
        > comments to the whole group and not to my private e-mail account.

        If you put anything anywhere for anyone to see, it would IMO be part of
        proper netiquette to be prepared for questions. "I will not respond to any
        questions" is IMO not a proper behaviour for a mailing-list.

        Maybe you simply cannot answer any questions concerning the photos, because
        you did not take them? You can find most of the pics (taken by John Ekwall
        or friends) easier and faster via www.sthelena.se.

        I know that copying is quite usual in the WWW, but at least a source should
        always be given. I am sure that, as a student at Uni Tuebingen, citing
        correctly (= declaring sources) was one of the first things you learned...

        Greetings - Peter
      • mrftbred@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , May 4, 2001
          I was sad to see the correspondence regarding the photos. Of course
          Peter and John are correct when they say the photos should not have
          been posted without permission or at least a credit. However it was
          good to see someone doing something with this forum and adding
          something to our 'files'. Would it be possible to start again and for
          John to give his permission to restore the pictures so that we could
          all share them, they were very good and I had seen most of them
          before.

          I was pleased to meet you, John, and so many others at the TdC
          meeting in England in April. I hope we can keep in contact. It is a
          very good interest to have in the island and I am sorry to see people
          having negative reactions such as this dialogue we have seen today.

          Lets try to keep this a friendly forum.
        • markalastairsilverman
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 4, 2002
            Hi

            Just wondering if there are any websites out there with some good, up
            to date photos of life on Tristan.

            Also, I've just finished reading Peter Munch's Crisis in Utopia
            (1971) - just wondering what others made of it. It's largely a
            historical acccount but because he was a sociologist he provides some
            interesting perspectives on how the attitudes of islanders changed
            before and after the evacuation and return to Tristan.

            best wishes

            Mark
          • H. Wiechers
            Message 5 of 6 , May 6, 2002
              Hello list,

              i stumbled upon this link, it has some pics taken at TdC. The pages itself are in
              Dutch.

              http://home.planet.nl/~beintema/foto.htm

              Cheers
              Erik Wiechers
            • Morten Jespersen
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 11, 2003
                Dear Members of the TDC group.

                I am not very experienced in using this list, but could someone please inform me how to view the photos mentioned by Marty Welfeld?
                I have been a member for about 3 years. Got interested in Tristan da Cunha after having read Arne Falk Rønnes book, The Return to Tristan da Cunha.
                By the way, thank you to all those who have been able to contribute to the list.
                My role is only as an enjoyer.

                Morten Jespersen
                Overdrevet 19
                8382 Hinnerup