[TdC] Re: "Islands" article..

  • StellrJ@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2000
      In a message dated 01/29/2000 7:59:24 AM Pacific Standard Time,
      jstrauss@... writes:

      > (Referring to the islanders) "Their reaction (to my visit) - or rather,
      > their lack of it- is what strikes me most. The attitude could be
      > reserve, but it resembles disinterest, too".
      >
      > "Visitors are tolerated rather than welcomed."

      It could well be that the Tristanians have formed a close-knit society. It
      does happen in isolated places, and not just islands. Surely you have heard
      local people in whatever region glad to get tourist dollars, yet grumbling
      about those same tourists and their ways. It seems fairly universal to me.

      Yes, this group is still operating, just very quiet. I guess we have less to
      say about Tristan than about Ascension and St. Helena. I think that's too
      bad, though -- Tristan was my FIRST interest, the other two followed
      afterward. I have a question of my own: since I am a low-budget traveler,
      what is the least expensive way to get to Tristan?