Re: [TdC] Re: Telecommunications Costs

    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 17, 2005
      John Cranham wrote:

      > Unfortunately my posts still have to be "authorised".
      > Resulting in the strange delays apparent with my recent postings.

      Someone doesn't trust you. :)

      > Do we have a list owner or moderator ?

      Dr. Alexander Schulenburg. I imagine he might have some
      interesting sociological or historical observations on
      the possible effect of internet spam or porn on isolated
      communities, but this won't solve our present dilemma.

      > Can anyone help?

      I look to Paul and Melanie for guidance on this subject.

      Bob
    • Diane Mew
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 18, 2005
        Dear Melanie,
             Thanks so much for the news about Harold and Amy. I am not surprised Harold enjoyed himself on the "Agulhas". The three of us used to play "Knock" every night when I was on Tristan and Harold got a great kick out of it, especially when he was winning!
             I'm sure he loved being with Kayleigh. I remember how he adored little Reana, Beverley and Chris' little daughter.
              I hope you are now settled back home and preparing for the winter. Over here in Canada we have had a lovely autumn, but there is a little nip in the air which reminds us that winter is on it way now.  Kindest regards, Diane
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 20, 2005
          Hi all

          We were going to setup the email through a monitored
          server, so that junkmail could be removed before it got
          to Tristan.

          The internet is quite easy to filter content. A reasonable
          software package could have been installed to deny
          any access to "adult" sites or sites that contain viruses.

          I think all web browsing would have been done under
          some kind of supervision anyway.

          I would have loved to take this project on right through
          to completion, but the present admin decided he didn't
          want it, so it was put in a folder on my computer for
          storage.

          The porn issue is real, even the BFBS tv channel shows
          unsuitable programs at 6pm. Because of the time
          difference between Central European and GMT.

          Cheers

          Paul

          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 20, 2005
            Hi Paul,

            Thanks for the information. There are two issues here,
            email and web browsing. Please correct me if I'm wrong
            but I thought the main issue was affordable email for
            the people of Tristan, so that they could more easily
            keep in touch with friends and family abroad. It's
            unclear to me who could be against that, but I have a
            lot to learn. Can't they just have email?

            As to the wishes of the present Administrator, I am
            interested to learn of his viewpoint but consider it
            incidental to the wishes of the people. I believe I
            speak for a few others when I say it is the people
            whose guidance I prefer to follow.

            Bob