Pastoral Visit to Tristan

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2005
      Falkland Islands News Network
      Pastoral Visit to Tristan
      October 4, 2005
      by Monsignor Michael B. McPartland

      After a very smooth sailing, on the S.A Agulhas, from Capetown, it was with joy and no small measure of excitement that I
      saw Tristan Da Cunha for the very first time. This was on the morning of Wednesday, 14th September 2005.

      I was met by Mrs Anne Green, the Chief Islander and Mr Dereck Rogers- both of whom are members of the Church Leadership Team
      on the Island.

      On Sunday, 18th September 2005 the Church of St Joseph was full to witness the Confirmation of Sasha Anne Green and Philip
      John Rogers. At the same Mass, young Rachel Emma Green made her first Holy Communion. There were Celebratory parties in,
      each of their homes, afterwards.

      In fact, attending parties for all sorts of occasion,(Wedding, Christening, Birthday and all) was the hallmark of my short
      three week stay. Another highlight was the guided tour that Mr James Glass, The former Chief Islander, and his wife Felicity
      gave me of the whole Settlement area, We travelled in his land rover to the 'patches (allotments) at the Western most point.
      There I saw both Inaccessible Island and Nightingale Island on the horizon of the South Atlantic Ocean. Then we travelled to
      the Eastern most point to where the Volcano of 1961 erupted.

      Finally the church celebrated 'Graveyard Sunday' on the 2nd October 2005. After Mass of healing (during which an anointing
      of the sick took place) The entire congregation processed [sic] in silence to the three grave yards, We prayed over those
      who were laid to rest there and each grave was blessed starting from first to be buried on Tristan (Corporal William Glass)
      to the latest. It was a very morning [sic] occasion indeed.

      I look forward, very much, to my next visit to Tristan which, with the help of God, will again be this time next year.

      (Mgr) Michael. B. McPartland

      © 2002 Falkland Islands News Network
      Stanley, Falkland Islands