Population and Economy

  • msilverman@hillingdon.gov.uk
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 12, 2001
      My twin interest in Tristan and Pitcairn has led me to wonder how TdC
      has been able to sustain its population fairly well over the past 40
      years - around 300 - whereas Pitcairn's has dwindled from well over
      100 (and well over 200 before WWII) to less than 50. Both
      communities are inaccessible by air but TdC appears to be far more
      self-sufficient. Does it receive any subsidy from the UK
      government? How much does the TdC depend on its crawfish industry?

      Perhaps Pitcairn has suffered from its lack of docking facilities for
      larger vessels although islanders are now trying to export home grown
      produce on a small scale eg honey, freeze-dried fruit. What is the
      situation with the younger generation on TdC - are most of them
      looking to spend time abroad or are there enough who are keen to stay
      on the island? What about those who aren't employed in the crawfish
      industry - are they able to generate income from other means?

      Quite a few questions but I would be grateful for any answers.

      rgds

      Mark
    • msilverman@hillingdon.gov.uk
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 27, 2001
        Hey, its awfully quiet out there?! Is anyone able to some of my
        queries below?

        Members may be interested to know that our government here - or at
        least the civil servants at the Department for International
        Development (DFID) - have pulled the plug on a much needed road
        project on Pitcairn. It would have enabled the steep road from the
        island jetty to be tarmaced and remain usable in all weather.
        After all these years, it would have been Pitcairn's first sealed
        road and Tender Bids for the work had already been submitted. What
        are TdC's experiences of the DFID - hopefully not as bad as this?