Professional Opportunities on a Small Island

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 2005
      I know that many of you reading this have fantasies about
      chucking it all, even your mothers-in-law, and moving to
      some faraway island. While the notice below is not
      directly related to Tristan, it's written very well by a
      man who, himself, did exactly what he's suggesting. John
      is the manager of the Bank of St. Helena.

      There is a similar opportunity in St. Helena for a lawyer
      who wants to start a civil practice, and is qualified in
      a Commonwealth country. A similar opportunity may exist
      for a veterinarian. At present, there are no lawyers or
      accountants in private practice in St. Helena, and no vets
      at all. Nobody's getting rich there, but neither is
      anyone starving.

      Bob Conrich
      Anguilla

      Subject: Chartered Accountant Needed in Small Sub-Tropical Island
      Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 10:45:23 -0000
      From: John Turner, Bank of St. Helena <john.turner@...>
      To: <list@...>

      To develop for the new post-Airport economy St. Helena desperately needs
      a local accountancy 'firm'. By the scale of things here, that would be
      one chartered accountant and several CAT-qualified assistants.

      Although I can't put out an official job offer, it would look something
      like this:

      What you need:

      * Experience of general business accountancy issues, particularly
      those of SME businesses
      * Creativity and imagination, to deal with the fact that things here
      work 'differently'
      * A reliable sense of humour, for situations when 'working
      differently' looks remarkably like 'not working'
      * The ability to survive without a mobile 'phone, shopping centres,
      or most of what is called 'Culture', e.g. live music (NB Country &
      Western does not classify as 'music'); serious theatre; opera; art
      galleries; ...
      * The ability to survive without traffic, random violent crime,
      commuter trains, EU Regulations (well, some of them anyway), the
      M25, the London Underground, junkmail, aircraft noise, ...

      What you get:

      * an income that's about 1/4 what you would expect in the UK
      * a cost of living to match your income
      * a job where your personal contribution really makes a difference
      to people's lives
      * the sort of work-life balance that is dreamed of, but rarely
      achieved in the UK
      * minimum annual temperatures of 8C (maximum about 30C) with
      sunshine most days (August possibly excepted - ask me again in two
      months' time)
      * unspoilt countryside within 10 minutes drive of your home
      * unspoilt countryside within 10 minutes drive of your place of work
      * more sea and sea-related activity than you can possibly require
      * friendly people who smile and wave even if they don't know you
      (anyway, they soon will)

      Any volunteers

      John Turner