Re: [TdC] back on the net

  • Diane Mew
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 20, 2005
      Dear Nigel,
           Life in Spain sounds wonderful, especially from where I sit in snowy, freezing Toronto. Are you there permanently, or is this just a holiday home?
           I went back to Tristan to visit my friends Harold and Amy Green on the "Agulhas" last September. I had been there for five weeks in 2000, and it was wonderful to be back - in fact, it was like visiting family, and that is how Harold and Amy treated me.
           In some ways the island and the people felt just the same, and certainly the way I was received was wonderful. But, of course, in other ways it is different. There is, of course, television now. They get the BBC Forces network, which gives them the news from England, lots of sport, especially soccer, and soap operas such as "EastEnders" and "Coronation Street." The weather forecasts are a bit odd - all that the weather is doing in such places as Croatia, Cyprus, Basra, and the Falkland Islands - all places where there are British troops - but not of much use to Tristan!
           I got the feeling that, after the first flush of enthusiasm, not that many of the islanders spend much time in front of the TV screen. There were still the Patches to be attended to, and the restored pub was officially opened when I was there, so that created quite a stir. You wouldn't recognize it now, it is quite splendid!
           The island has a new administrator, and both he and his wife seem very charming people who will get on well with the islanders - and you know how important that is. The previous incumbent had not been a great success, and I think most people on the island were pleased to see him go. During his stay the Residence had had a total face life - at a considerable amount of money, I suspect, as it was much more lavish than I remember it when the Baldwins were there. But most of the homes and the hospital had been completely restored after the hurricane, and the news roofs looked great.
           As you probably know, there had been a slight series of shocks on the island following an under-water eruption in August. So we had with us a volcanologist who was sent out  by the British government to see whether the volcano on the island was coming to life again. Fortunately all seemed to be well, and there was no sign of any volcanic activity on the island. But some of the older residents remembered 1961, and were anxious to have that assurance. As you know, living under Base can be quite disconcerting
           Please keep in touch. If there is anything that I can answer having been to Tristan so recently, don't hesitate to let me know.  Yours,  Diane Mew.  Toronto.

      .

      nigel_folgate wrote:

      hello all,
             Some of you may remember me from a couple of years back, my
      name is Nigel Folgate and i was a member of this group for a short
      while before moving to Spain.Well i back on the net and settled into
      my new home in Spain, things took a while to organise, finding a
      plot of land and then building the house,but its all been worth it
      and now i have got time to hopefully find some old friends.
         The main reason i joined the Tristan group and my interest in the
      island is because i used to live there back in 1969 and my adopted
      sister Wendy Swain is a Tristanner, my father Roy Folgate was the
      postmaster/radio operator for 4 years and i have many fond memories
      of my time there, i also am the proud owner of a cine film of my
      families time on tristan and several other sort films dating back to
      1922.
         Anyway it would be great to hear from any friends old or new so
      please do contact me.

                             regards nigel

      This is the Tristan da Cunha list.
      To post to the list send messages to tristan-da-cunha@egroups.com
      To change your settings, receive a digest or un-subscribe, go to
      http://www.egroups.com/group/tristan-da-cunha/

      For information about Tristan da Cunha, please see the official Tristan web page at http://website.lineone.net/~sthelena/tristaninfo.htm

    • Sean Philbin
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 23, 2005
        I've been researching for a possible trip in the future to Tristan,
        but all told I'm not entirely sure what to budget for such a thing.
        How much would a trip cost for about a week or so or however long I
        will be allowed to stay.

        Fascinating stuff...
        BT

      • Paul & Mel Young
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 28, 2005
          How much can you afford?

          Probably easier to work out if you would
          like to email me your current location

          Paul
> [...]
          > > > please do contact me.
          > > >
          > > > regards nigel
          > > >

          > > > This is the Tristan da Cunha list.
          > > > To post to the list send messages to tristan-da-cunha@egroups.com
          > > > To change your settings, receive a digest or un-subscribe, go to
          > > > http://www.egroups.com/group/tristan-da-cunha/
          > > >
          > > > For information about Tristan da Cunha, please see the official
          > > > Tristan web page at
          > > > http://website.lineone.net/~sthelena/tristaninfo.htm
          > > >

          > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          > > [Image]

          > > > Service.
          > > >

          > This is the Tristan da Cunha list.
          > To post to the list send messages to tristan-da-cunha@egroups.com
          > To change your settings, receive a digest or un-subscribe, go to
          > http://www.egroups.com/group/tristan-da-cunha/
          >
          > For information about Tristan da Cunha, please see the official Tristan

        • Sean Philbin
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 28, 2005
            I live in Los Angeles, California.

            If possible, finances willing I'd like to be there for
            a couple of weeks or so.

            Sean

            --- Paul & Mel Young <paul.young@...> wrote:

            ---------------------------------
> [...]

            1969 and my adopted
            > > > sister Wendy Swain is a Tristanner, my father
            Roy Folgate was the
            > > > postmaster/radio operator for 4 years and i have
            many fond memories
            > > > of my time there, i also am the proud owner of a
            cine film of my
            > > > families time on tristan and several other sort
            films dating back to
            > > > 1922.
            > > > Anyway it would be great to hear from any
            friends old or new so
            > > > please do contact me.
            > > >
            > > > regards nigel
            > > >

            > > > This is the Tristan da Cunha list.
            > > > To post to the list send messages to
            tristan-da-cunha@egroups.com
            > > > To change your settings, receive a digest or
            un-subscribe, go to
            > > > http://www.egroups.com/group/tristan-da-cunha/
            > > >
            > > > For information about Tristan da Cunha, please

            email to:

            Yahoo! Terms of
            > > > Service.
            > > >

            > This is the Tristan da Cunha list.
            > To post to the list send messages to
            tristan-da-cunha@egroups.com
            > To change your settings, receive a digest or
            un-subscribe, go to
            > http://www.egroups.com/group/tristan-da-cunha/
            >
            > For information about Tristan da Cunha, please see
            the official Tristan
            web page at
            http://website.lineone.net/~sthelena/tristaninfo.htm

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            This is the Tristan da Cunha list.
            To post to the list send messages to
            tristan-da-cunha@egroups.com
            To change your settings, receive a digest or
            un-subscribe, go to
            http://www.egroups.com/group/tristan-da-cunha/

            For information about Tristan da Cunha, please see the
            official Tristan web page at
            http://website.lineone.net/~sthelena/tristaninfo.htm

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

            Terms of Service.