419Funny UK travel storey ...

  • Max Power
    Aug 4, 2002
      http://cbc.ca/stories/2002/08/04/wrongsydney_020804

      Oops. British couple flies to Canada by mistake

      Last Updated Sun, 04 Aug 2002 20:56:59

      SYDNEY, N.S. - Two teenagers from England who thought they had booked a
      flight to Australia began an unexpected holiday in Nova Scotia this
      weekend.

      Raeoul Sebastian and Emma Nunn, both 19, purchased their tickets from a
      travel agent over the Internet last April.

      Although they wanted to go to Sydney, Australia, they wound up flying
      across the Atlantic and ended up in Halifax Thursday instead.

      At first they thought the six-hour journey to Canada was part of the
      routine flight to Australia. They began getting concerned when asked to
      transfer to a much smaller plane. The couple wondered how the aircraft
      could make it all the way down under.

      It was "really, really confusing," Sebastian told CBC on Sunday. "We
      thought that, OK, we're going to wait here and there's going to be a big
      plane that's going to turn up and take us to Australia. It didn't quite
      happen that way."

      When the second plane landed a short time later in Cape Breton, they
      realized the trip was over.

      "As soon as I saw the sign 'Sydney, Canada,' I knew that obviously it
      can't be a mistake," Nunn recalled. "I knew we couldn't be going to get on
      another plane. I thought, 'Oh my gosh, we're in Canada.'"

      The teenagers haven't exactly flown off the handle, however. They've spent
      the long-weekend exploring part of the world they know nothing about
      taking long walks by the ocean and feasting on lobster. Local people have
      been extremely friendly, they said.

      They want a refund from the Internet travel company, and are hoping to
      reschedule their three-week trip to Australia for next year.

      In the meantime, they're trying to work out an arrangement with Air Canada
      to fly back to London in a few days their home town, that is, not London,
      Ont.

      Written by CBC News Online staff
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic