2768New Species of Prion - better translation

    May 10, 2014
      A group member has submitted this improved translation of the French paper.
      Since I'm not sure if he wanted me to identify him, I'll just say "Thanks,
      Larry."

      He ended by saying he wished he was there. I don't know where he means --
      Tristan or Anguilla. In Tristan it'll be austral winter soon, and they're
      probably not having beach weather.

      Here in Anguilla it's warm but windy, and we haven't seen the sun for two
      days. We've needed the rain (this is a rather dry island) but the tourists
      are not amused.

      Robert S. Conrich, ACIArb
      Box 666
      Anguilla bob@...
      British West Indies Tel: 1 264 497 2505

      http://www.planetofbirds.com/procellariiformes-procellariidae-broad-billed-prion-pachyptila-vittata
      Below is Googl’s translation, from the French.

      Prions (genus /Pachyptila/) are abundant seabirds in the Southern Ocean. The distinction between
      species is largely based on the differences in size and structure of their beaks. The Prion Forster
      ( /P. vittata/) is the largest (length 25-30 cm, wingspan 57-66 cm). The back is gray and is marked
      with a black area forming an "M". The underside is whitish. It differs from Prion Desolation
      (/Pachyptila desolata/) by the smallest of its tail black mark, darker and larger and generally a
      larger breast band head.

      It nests in colonies on Gough Island, Tristan da Cunha, Chatham and Antipodes and in the archipelago
      of New Zealand. Its broad and flattened measures on average 21 to 22 mm wide beak.

      In an article published in 2014 in the journal Polar Biology, several ornithologists observed on the
      island of Gough Pray Forster beak significantly (15%) narrower than typical adults, with a width
      ranged from 18 to 19 mm, or between 16 and 17 mm. Their beak was also slightly (1-2%) shorter, as
      their head and wings, and upper mandible was blue.

      On the other hand, these prions narrow beak recurrence three months later than typical birds,
      suggesting that the difference in width nose is not a simple case of polymorphism: these they assume
      the existence of Gough of a species of prion undescribed?