2482Greek bulk carrier calls at Tristan

  • bobconrich
    Mar 4, 2012
      Sick Crewmen seeks medical attention at Tristan
      Tristan Times
      28.02.2012

      On the 10th February the bulk carrier MV Zagora on her way from Brazil to China carrying Soya, called at Tristan to seek medical attention for a sick crewmember.
      Photo (c) James Glass
      By Sarah Glass

      On the 10th February the bulk carrier MV Zagora on her way from Brazil to China carrying Soya, called at Tristan to seek medical attention for a sick crewmember.

      The Search and Rescue Rib Atlantic Dawn went out with the doctor at 7am, who gave him a complete examination and return a short while later, after giving the patient medication. The vessel then proceeded to Cape Town where the crewmen will seek further medical treatment.

      It was quite spooky to see the vessel cruise around Hottentot Point in the early hours of the morning, as the vessel was identical with the one that had ran into Nightingale Island on the 16th March last year. To which we are still suffering the consequences, especially the impact that it has had on our lobster fishery.

      The Zagora is the same size as the Oliva, and both are bulk carriers, but they look quite different otherwise. The owner is different. The Zagora is owned by Goulandris Brothers Hellas, Athens, and seems to have a better navigation system.

      Bob