2449Parliamentary Question on possible MPA in Tristan

  • bobconrich
    Feb 1, 2012
      House of Commons
      Atlantic Ocean Islands: Environment Protection
      Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
      Written Answer

      Zac Goldsmith (Richmond Park, Conservative)

      To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs what recent assessment he has made of the case for establishing a Marine Protected Area at (a) Tristan da Cunha, (b) South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands, (c) Bermuda and (d) Pitcairn Island.

      David Lidington (Minister of State (Europe and NATO), Foreign and Commonwealth Office; Aylesbury, Conservative)

      Various activities are currently under way relating to the conservation of the marine resources of Tristan, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands, Bermuda and Pitcairn. These will inform the ongoing discussions between my Department and Overseas Territory (OT) Governments about the appropriate options for the management and protection of the rich environmental assets of the OTs.

      This is the first I've heard of a possible MPA in Tristan. I support it if it allows for the traditional rights of the islanders. The FCO has surrounded Tristan with much unnecessary secrecy. While there is controversy with Argentina about SGSSI, there is not about any of the other named islands, and secrecy in London supports public suspicion that they are up to no good.

      On my island, where we have an anti-British Chief Minister, such incidents are magnified and presented as evidence of British arrogance and calumny. It is as unnecessary as it is unpleasant.

      Bob
      Anguilla
      British West Indies