Jefferson Cup Registration Tonight at 9:00

  • Richard Gendron
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009
      Rats,

      The Jefferson Cup registration opens at 9:00 PM tonight. Jeff Cup is a
      Road Race, just like in the TdF. I think it is several loops of a 10
      mile course.
      The Men's CAT 5 (beginners) will fill very quickly. If you are
      interested, I would go on and register right at 9:00.
      The Women's CAT 4 (Beginners) race should also fill but not as quickly.

      I think the 50+ and 60+ men is open to CAT 5 and the 35+ Women is open
      to CAT 4, the 35+ men's is not open to CAT 5.

      Jeff Cup is probably the closest thing you get to an RBC ride. There
      are rolling hills, but no real climbs or walls.
      Some of you big LT guys should consider this as a training race, form
      a break with about 10 to go and ride away from the CAT 5 field.
      I think rolling enclosure means that the road is closed to traffic on
      a rolling basis.

      I will race this, but still deciding between CAT 4 and 35+.

      Registration: (If this does not work, go to Bikereg.com and search for
      "Jefferson")
      http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=8003

      Race Flier:
      http://www.bluewheel.com/events/jc2009flier.pdf
    • Richard Gendron
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009
        Anyone out there enter ? The CAT 5 race filled in 5 minutes.
        Is it the "Lance Returns" effect ?

        I'm in the 35+

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2009
          Hi all,

          I'm really wanting to try a road bike race, but I haven't done anything like this since early high school, and even then I didn't really know what I was doing. I looked at the flyer link, and realized I could maybe benefit from a little guidance, since I don't really know what the terms, abbreviations, categories are/mean. I'm a decent cyclist, can get up to 25+mph for brief periods and can ride fairly steadily at 20mph. The longest ride I've done is 60 miles, and it was a comfortable ride-- tired after, but not exhausted - rode at only around 12-18 mph the whole way, though. I'm pretty good at hills -- do a decent amount of hills when I ride to-from work (about 12-15 miles each way, about 5 miles each way along Custis -- do this about 2x per week in warm weather). Problem is I haven't gotten around to doing a group ride, so I don't know how this compares to others or where this would put me in the pack. I'm 38 yod female with 13 triathlons under my
          belt, most at Int'l distance.

          What category would I register for? Where would I position myself at the start? What other questions should I be asking at this point? Am I getting in over my head?

          Heather Rosso
          her_liberty@...
          ne te quesavaris extra
          As the pattern gets more intricate & subtle, being swept along is no longer enough.