RE: [triplecitiesrunnersclub] Trail Running?

  • Sara Boucher Gdovin
    Message 1 of 20 , May 28, 2009
      Thanks Karen, great advice!

      To: triplecitiesrunnersclub@yahoogroups.com
      From: kfennie@...
      Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 10:27:33 -0400
      Subject: RE: [triplecitiesrunnersclub] Trail Running?

      Hi Sara-

      The BU nature preserve has some nice trails of varying lengths. There is
      a 5k course the cross country team uses that is non-technical along with
      some steeper, rockier, more rooty stuff. Some good climbs with great
      views. There is a large map/sign at one of the trail heads and I believe
      some maps available there as well.
      http://naturepreserve.binghamton.edu/Maps/Present.html Oakley Corners
      (state park) http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/8144.html is a bit of a drive,
      but there are some nice trails there. Maps also at the trail head. A
      nice mix of flats and hills, non-tech and tech trails. Chenango Valley
      State Park also has a variety of nice trails from a flat 3 mile (out and
      back) tow path along the river, to carriage paths, to single track,
      hills, tech and non tech sections. There use to be a mailbox at the end
      of the towpath with maps, but that is no longer there. Not sure if the
      park office has some. If you get there before 8 a.m. there is no charge
      to enter the park (they charge from Memorial Day to Labor Day, free
      otherwise). You can also purchase an Empire Pass for the season..or just
      park outside the park and run in if you don't want to pay. Some maps
      here http://www.chenangopoint.com/ Jones Park in Vestal also has some
      trails, but I have not really run there but hear they are nice.

      Just get out and explore and have fun! Don't forget the bug spray.

      Karen

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 20 , May 28, 2009
        Hi Sara,
        Another real nice, non-technical area, is the old IBM Glen. It is now run
        by Waterman Conservation Education Center.
        _http://www.watermancenter.org/the_glen.htm_ (http://www.watermancenter.org/the_glen.htm) It has several
        longer loops and connector trails. Most trails are shaded, which is nice
        in the summer heat. The trails are typically old paved roads that have
        gone wild with leaves, hemlock needles, and moss now covering them. There are
        several hills so it is not an easy run. There is a technical section
        along the gorge trail which offers a nice view of a stream and waterfalls. You
        can usually park at the Heritage and walk to the trails, or park on
        Robinson Hill Rd at the top near the dog training grounds and you will see the
        trail entrances. Another access on the eastern end of Robinson Hill Rd is at
        the hairpin turn just below the long hill. There is a small area for 2-3
        cars to park.

        Happy trails,
        Chuck Hein

        In a message dated 05/28/2009 1:43:55 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        saraboucher@... writes:

        Thanks Karen, great advice!

        To: _triplecitiesrunnerstriplecitiesrunntrip_
        (mailto:triplecitiesrunnersclub@yahoogroups.com)
        From: _kfennie@..._ (mailto:kfennie@...)
        Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 10:27:33 -0400
        Subject: RE: [triplecitiesrunnerSubject: RE: [triplecitie

        _http://naturepreserhttp://naturephttp://nahttp://natur_
        (http://naturepreserve.binghamton.edu/Maps/Present.html) Oakley Corners
        (state park) _http://www.dec.http://www.dehttp://ww_
        here _http://www.chenangohttp://www_ (http://www.chenangopoint.com/)

        From: _triplecitiesrunnerstriplecitiesrunntrip_
        (mailto:triplecitiesrunnersclub@yahoogroups.com)
        The old bod' is getting beat up from running on the pavement. Anyone
        know of trails in the area (within a 30 min drive on Binghamton) that I
        could try out instead? I heard BU might have some, but I'll have to
        check the website to see how long the trails are. I'd rather find
        something on the longer side than repeat 1 mile loops, yanno?

        Thanks!

        Sara Gdovin

        p.s. To any triathlete folks, I'm still information seeking on a club!

        Insert movie times and more without leaving Hotmail(r).
        _http://windowslive.http://windowhttp://windowslihttp://winhttp://wihttp:_
        (http://windowslive.com/Tutorial/Hotmail/QuickAdd?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Tu)
        torial_QuickAdd1_torial
        <_http://windowslive.http://windowhttp://windowslihttp://winhttp://wihttp_
        (http://windowslive.com/Tutorial/Hotmail/QuickAdd?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_T)
        utorial_QuickAdd1_utoria>

        cntnew00000007)

      • Alan Jones
        Message 3 of 20 , May 28, 2009
          As a member of the Waterman Board, I second Chuck's suggestion of the IBM Glen as a great place to run. Since I retired and until I got laid low by arthritis in the lower back, I did most of my running in the IBM Glen. As he says, it is very hilly.

          However, I have to point out that the only legal entrance is on Robinson Hill Road, 1.2 miles north of where you turn on Robinson Hill Road off of Country Club Road in Endwell (across from the former IBM Gun Club). The access through Traditions is not allowed unless you are staying at the Traditions hotel (the former IBM Homestead). Also, the acess to the east on Robinson Hill Road near the Oakdale Mall is heavily posted by Traditions. There is a very small parking area there on a wicked bend in Robinson Hill Road which makes it a bit dangerous to drive out onto Robinson Hill Road after your run.

          If you park in the IBM Glen parking lot on Robinson Hill Road, the beginning of the trails is obvious to the south. Within 200 yards you will come to a kiosk with maps and other information. Also, you can print out a map from the Waterman site:

          http://www.watermancenter.org/GlenTrifold.pdf

          Alan Jones

        • gracetabeek
          Message 4 of 20 , May 15, 2011
            Robert's Run 5K is this Saturday, May 21st @ 10:00am. The TCRC is working registration and the finish line for this race and we need volunteers to help out. This is another oppurtunity to get your Grand Prix volunteer requirement so if it's possible let me know if you're able to help out. Your help is not only needed but very much appreciated.

            Grace 722-8744 OR gtabeek@...

            Thanks

            Grace
          • ddougherty4@stny.rr.com
            Message 5 of 20 , May 16, 2011
              Hi Grace, Kristy and I will be there bright and early to help. Just dont let me near the rainbow board. See you then,
              Dan