Re: [triplecitiesrunnersclub] Trail Running?

  • Dan Dofton
    Message 1 of 20 , May 28, 2009
      On Thu, 28 May 2009 09:51:11 -0400
      Sara Boucher Gdovin <saraboucher@...> wrote:

      > The old bod' is getting beat up from running on the pavement. Anyone
      > know of trails in the area (within a 30 min drive on Binghamton) that
      > I could try out instead? I heard BU might have some, but I'll have
      > to check the website to see how long the trails are. I'd rather find
      > something on the longer side than repeat 1 mile loops, yanno?

      Just last week, on the advice of another TCRC member, I
      checked out Jones Park on State Line Rd, Vestal, off of Rt 26 near the
      PA border. It has some great trails, and a map kiosk, but it has no
      bathroom facilities or water fountains. I was so engrossed in the
      challenging terrain and beauty of the area, that I ended up running
      for over an hour and a half. For me, that long on the roads would have
      gotten a little monotonous and exhausting, but on the trails it was
      rejuvenating.

      Another good place I have run is Chenango Valley State Park. You can
      avoid the park entry fee by parking at the historical Erie canal lock on
      the dirt road along the river where Pigeon Hill Rd meets 79 in Chenango
      Forks. The dirt road runs along the river for a short distance then
      becomes a foot/mountain bike trail that continues into the park. You'll
      go through the golf course cart paths and end up near the swimming area
      where there are bathrooms, water, and access to the interior park
      trails. It's about 3 miles from the canal to the swim area. There are
      trail maps available at the park office (and maybe online.)

      Have fun,
      --
      Dan Dofton
      Binghamton, NY
      Message 2 of 20 , May 28, 2009
        Hi Sara-

        The BU nature preserve has some nice trails of varying lengths. There is
        a 5k course the cross country team uses that is non-technical along with
        some steeper, rockier, more rooty stuff. Some good climbs with great
        views. There is a large map/sign at one of the trail heads and I believe
        some maps available there as well.
        http://naturepreserve.binghamton.edu/Maps/Present.html Oakley Corners
        (state park) http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/8144.html is a bit of a drive,
        but there are some nice trails there. Maps also at the trail head. A
        nice mix of flats and hills, non-tech and tech trails. Chenango Valley
        State Park also has a variety of nice trails from a flat 3 mile (out and
        back) tow path along the river, to carriage paths, to single track,
        hills, tech and non tech sections. There use to be a mailbox at the end
        of the towpath with maps, but that is no longer there. Not sure if the
        park office has some. If you get there before 8 a.m. there is no charge
        to enter the park (they charge from Memorial Day to Labor Day, free
        otherwise). You can also purchase an Empire Pass for the season..or just
        park outside the park and run in if you don't want to pay. Some maps
        here http://www.chenangopoint.com/ Jones Park in Vestal also has some
        trails, but I have not really run there but hear they are nice.

        Just get out and explore and have fun! Don't forget the bug spray.

        Karen

        ________________________________

        The old bod' is getting beat up from running on the pavement. Anyone
        know of trails in the area (within a 30 min drive on Binghamton) that I
        could try out instead? I heard BU might have some, but I'll have to
        check the website to see how long the trails are. I'd rather find
        something on the longer side than repeat 1 mile loops, yanno?

        Thanks!

        Sara Gdovin

        p.s. To any triathlete folks, I'm still information seeking on a club!

      • Matthew Maciak
        Message 3 of 20 , May 28, 2009
          State Park, you can start from the steel bridge side so you don't have to pay the entrance fee.

        • Matthew Maciak
          Message 4 of 20 , May 28, 2009
            sorry bout that, didn t read the next email.

            Message 5 of 20 , May 28, 2009
              Thanks Karen, great advice!

              To: triplecitiesrunnersclub@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 20 , May 28, 2009
                Hi Sara,
                Another real nice, non-technical area, is the old IBM Glen. It is now run
                by Waterman Conservation Education Center.
                _http://www.watermancenter.org/the_glen.htm_ (http://www.watermancenter.org/the_glen.htm) It has several
                longer loops and connector trails. Most trails are shaded, which is nice
                in the summer heat. The trails are typically old paved roads that have
                gone wild with leaves, hemlock needles, and moss now covering them. There are
                several hills so it is not an easy run. There is a technical section
                along the gorge trail which offers a nice view of a stream and waterfalls. You
                can usually park at the Heritage and walk to the trails, or park on
                Robinson Hill Rd at the top near the dog training grounds and you will see the
                trail entrances. Another access on the eastern end of Robinson Hill Rd is at
                the hairpin turn just below the long hill. There is a small area for 2-3
                cars to park.

                Happy trails,
                Chuck Hein

                In a message dated 05/28/2009 1:43:55 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                saraboucher@... writes:

                Thanks Karen, great advice!

                To: _triplecitiesrunnerstriplecitiesrunntrip_
                (mailto:triplecitiesrunnersclub@yahoogroups.com)
                From: _kfennie@..._ (mailto:kfennie@...)
                Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 10:27:33 -0400
                Subject: RE: [triplecitiesrunnerSubject: RE: [triplecitie

                _http://naturepreserhttp://naturephttp://nahttp://natur_
                (http://naturepreserve.binghamton.edu/Maps/Present.html) Oakley Corners
                (state park) _http://www.dec.http://www.dehttp://ww_
                here _http://www.chenangohttp://www_ (http://www.chenangopoint.com/)

                From: _triplecitiesrunnerstriplecitiesrunntrip_
                (mailto:triplecitiesrunnersclub@yahoogroups.com)
                The old bod' is getting beat up from running on the pavement. Anyone
                know of trails in the area (within a 30 min drive on Binghamton) that I
                could try out instead? I heard BU might have some, but I'll have to
                check the website to see how long the trails are. I'd rather find
                something on the longer side than repeat 1 mile loops, yanno?

                Thanks!

                Sara Gdovin

                p.s. To any triathlete folks, I'm still information seeking on a club!

                Insert movie times and more without leaving Hotmail(r).
                _http://windowslive.http://windowhttp://windowslihttp://winhttp://wihttp:_
                (http://windowslive.com/Tutorial/Hotmail/QuickAdd?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Tu)
                torial_QuickAdd1_torial
                <_http://windowslive.http://windowhttp://windowslihttp://winhttp://wihttp_
                (http://windowslive.com/Tutorial/Hotmail/QuickAdd?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_T)
                utorial_QuickAdd1_utoria>

                cntnew00000007)

              • Alan Jones
                Message 7 of 20 , May 28, 2009
                  As a member of the Waterman Board, I second Chuck's suggestion of the IBM Glen as a great place to run. Since I retired and until I got laid low by arthritis in the lower back, I did most of my running in the IBM Glen. As he says, it is very hilly.

                  However, I have to point out that the only legal entrance is on Robinson Hill Road, 1.2 miles north of where you turn on Robinson Hill Road off of Country Club Road in Endwell (across from the former IBM Gun Club). The access through Traditions is not allowed unless you are staying at the Traditions hotel (the former IBM Homestead). Also, the acess to the east on Robinson Hill Road near the Oakdale Mall is heavily posted by Traditions. There is a very small parking area there on a wicked bend in Robinson Hill Road which makes it a bit dangerous to drive out onto Robinson Hill Road after your run.

                  If you park in the IBM Glen parking lot on Robinson Hill Road, the beginning of the trails is obvious to the south. Within 200 yards you will come to a kiosk with maps and other information. Also, you can print out a map from the Waterman site:

                  http://www.watermancenter.org/GlenTrifold.pdf

                  Alan Jones

                • gracetabeek
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 15, 2011
                    Robert's Run 5K is this Saturday, May 21st @ 10:00am. The TCRC is working registration and the finish line for this race and we need volunteers to help out. This is another oppurtunity to get your Grand Prix volunteer requirement so if it's possible let me know if you're able to help out. Your help is not only needed but very much appreciated.

                    Grace 722-8744 OR gtabeek@...

                    Thanks

                    Grace
                  • ddougherty4@stny.rr.com
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 16, 2011
                      Hi Grace, Kristy and I will be there bright and early to help. Just dont let me near the rainbow board. See you then,
                      Dan