Re: [Triops Forever] New old tank

  • kyle cassidy
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 13, 2011
      Hi,What are you using to clean the tank? A thorough scrubbing with water only should suffice. Seen as how they're living at least a week, maybe they can't find the food? That could explain how you are better at keeping them alive in a smaller environment. Perhaps you could grow them out in a smaller container then relocate them once they get a little bigger?
      Best Regards,

      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 13, 2011
        First use distilled water or treat the water with a water conditioner for new tanks that removes chlorine and metals. Also you might want to use Cycle. it inoculates the tank with good bacteria that will break down waste. This will prevent your tank from turning into a cesspool of stagnant water. Finally you main problem is probably heat. Instructions say to put it next to a light bulb . This is not so much for the light as it is for the heat. Heat is very important.80-85º is best. Get a heating pad like this http://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-Health-Standard-Moist-Heating/dp/B00075M1T6/ref=sr_1_6?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1308018829&sr=1-6 and put it under the tank to keep it warm. Put it on high for a couple of days while the eggs hatch. Then lower it to medium and leave it there. MAKE SURE the heating pad you get does not have an auto off function. The one I found for you looks like it has no auto off function. Or look at walmart. A regular aquarium heater will
        work too if it gives the option to adjust the heat.

        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 14, 2011
          I have used many new tanks. Lol. What I do is get the small tank to all spring water from distilled for hatching. Then I put in all spring water to the big tank. I let the big tank run 24 hours. I then take water from the big tank and put it in the smaller one. Little by little so I add about 1/2 the amount that was in there the small tank. I then add them buy putting them in a small container and letting the big tank water go in slowly when this is full I let them swim in new tank. Mine have lasted 3-4 months and have gotten really big. I hope this makes sense? If not ask I'll try to explain what doesn't make sense.

          Maybe you can help me. I have lots of eggs from my tanks but I am now looking for the "pink" triops but can't find them. Any clue where to get these???

          Jackie

            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 14, 2011
              You don't use any household pesticides do you? Some creatures are super
              sensitive, perhaps triops are as well. Of course it's obvious not to use it
              in the room with the triops, but any room could cause problems due to
              household ventilation.

              On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 2:19 PM, Stuart Halliday <stuart@...>wrote:

              > On 14/06/2011 03:17, shinchanian wrote:
              > > Hi All
              > >
              > > Does anyone know the best way to set up a new old tank for triops?
              > >
              > > - I had a new tank that I was unable to get triops to survive in and
              > > tried cleaning it out, but again am having problems getting any triops
              > > to survive
              > >
              > > - Best way to clean?
              >
              > Don't ever, ever use soap or bleach?
              >
              > > - Helpful tips for using a larger (6 gallon) tank
              > >
              > > It is currently set up in a bookcase where the only real source of light
              > > is the aquarium light that came with it.
              > >
              > > For some reason, I can't seem to get my triops to live for more than a
              > > week in a larger tank - I don't know if it is a light problem or what it
              > > might be.
              >
              > Don't do large water changes?
              >
              > Dose daily with a drop or two of Prime by Seachem.
              >
              > http://theaquariumwiki.com/Prime
              >
              > :)
              >
              > --
              > Stuart Halliday
              > http://mytriops.com/
              > 200 Million years in the making...

            • Corey Renner
              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 15, 2011
                I'm curious to hear what kinds of replies you get. I've tried growing them
                4 times and never had ANY success. Never a single hatch. Who knew these
                little beasties could be so delicate.

                cheers,

              • Urmymom@aol.com
                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 29, 2011
                  alive in a smaller environment. Perhaps you could grow them out in a smaller container then relocate them once they get a little bigger?

                  This is what I do. Also don't use a filter that has the tube in the water. I've had many die. I use a filter that air goes into. Don't know the name.

                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 29, 2011
                    Wow all messages got posted. Lol

                    On Jun 18, 2011, at 12:45 AM, "E.Vincent Morano" <ironious2@...> wrote:

                    > Who is moderating this group? Ive sent two messages and none of them have posted.

                  • Andrew Rosenbaum
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jul 1, 2011
                      They were T. australiensis. As fa as i know, these guys live smackbang in the middle of the desert, so i would have thought that they wouldn't need too much humidity to suvive during their dormant period.
                      I still think the reason for them not hatching is due to the air dryness

                      Message 10 of 26 , Jul 1, 2011
                        Check on ebay. Don sells these subspecies of T. cancrifomis called ebi kabuto. They're pretty small but they have a pink pigmentation on their shell and body.

                        Just when you start new topics on the email, just remember to highlight and backspace previous posts to avoid confusion ;)

                        Andrew