Re: Why not make a forum?

  • Eric GALLERNE
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
      Hi Dan,
      A real forum would be a good idea, not like this one.
      As you know, I have my own forum in french which is not suitable for
      worldwide purpose in english language.
      Perhaps could it be a good idea to use yours, but I thought it was
      dedicated to Kansas only...?
      Bye

      This e-mail and any attachment are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please telephone or email the sender and delete this message and any attachment from your system. Unauthorized publication, use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail and its associated attachments is strictly prohibited.

      http://disclaimer.carrefour.com/

      Let's respect the environment together. Only print this message if necessary

    • Stuart Halliday
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 3, 2008
        I believe iturnrocks wrote this email section below:

        > Since posts sometimes take a week or more to get through, I sent you
        > an email as well.
        >
        > I started the North American Branchiopod Forum a couple years ago.
        > http://nabf.iturnrocks.com/index/ <http://nabf.iturnrocks.com/index/>
        >
        > We currently have 23 members.
        >
        > I dont use the email feature of this group. I only go to the website.
        > Apparently all posts require admin approval and the admin must be a
        > very busy guy, which is why all 3 posts Ive made over the past week
        > showed up at exactly the same time yesterday (June 26). I suppose I
        > could start timestamping my posts so that you would see when I
        > actually made them.

        There is a the mytriops mailing list of course.
        emails to members are instant.

        Stuart Halliday
        http://mytriops.com/
        200 Million years in the making...
      • Sue Kocher
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 3, 2008
          Sorry for top posting but...
          I have to say I am not fond of those "real forums"--too many divisions, topics, way too
          busy and confusing. I prefer not to have so many categories for discussions as tend to
          proliferate on those forum. I like to be able to scan posts without having to open endless
          numbers of sub-forums or whatever they are called.

          That said, I used to have access to the mytriops list, but my password is not working
          now... help?

          Cheers
          Sue

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 5, 2008
            I believe Sue Kocher wrote this email section below:

            > That said, I used to have access to the mytriops list, but my password
            > is not working
            > now... help?

            Just go to the list page and request a new password.

            See the bottom part where it says "To unsubscribe from MyTriops, get a
            password reminder, or change your subscription options enter your
            subscription email address:"

            You can get a new password there.
            :-)

            But actually it looks like you're not subscribed. Well not under that email
            address.

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 5, 2008
              I believe Eric GALLERNE wrote this email section below:

              > Hi Dan,
              > A real forum would be a good idea, not like this one.
              > As you know, I have my own forum in French which is not suitable for
              > worldwide purpose in english language.
              > Perhaps could it be a good idea to use yours, but I thought it was
              > dedicated to Kansas only...?
              > Bye

              I'm the Administrator of The Aquarium Wiki Encyclopaedia at
              http://theaquariumwiki.com/

              We have a forum at :
              http://theaquariumwiki.com/forum

              If there is interest I'm quite willing to create a Triops board in our forum
              under 'Freshwater Invertebrates'.

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 10, 2008
                I believe Stuart Halliday wrote this email section below:

                > I believe Eric GALLERNE wrote this email section below:
                > >

                > > Hi Dan,
                > > A real forum would be a good idea, not like this one.
                > > As you know, I have my own forum in French which is not suitable for
                > > worldwide purpose in english language.
                > > Perhaps could it be a good idea to use yours, but I thought it was
                > > dedicated to Kansas only...?
                > > Bye
                >
                > I'm the Administrator of The Aquarium Wiki Encyclopaedia at
                > http://theaquariumwiki.com/ <http://theaquariumwiki.com/>
                >
                > We have a forum at :
                > http://theaquariumwiki.com/forum <http://theaquariumwiki.com/forum>
                >
                > If there is interest I'm quite willing to create a Triops board in our
                > forum under 'Freshwater Invertebrates'.

                Oh well zero interest then.

                --
              • flip+@andrew.cmu.edu
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 10, 2008
                  Stuart Halliday writes:
                  >Oh well zero interest then.
                  I'm with the *negative* interest group....

                  I hate forums typically, i like the email gateway--- where i can read
                  all my information in one convenient location.
                  If people require "web" like stuff, they can go to the yahoo group.

                  --
                  flip
                • Stuart Halliday
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 10, 2008
                    I believe flip+@... wrote this email section below:

                    > Stuart Halliday writes:
                    > >Oh well zero interest then.
                    > I'm with the *negative* interest group....

                    Hehe fine.

                    > I hate forums typically, i like the email gateway--- where i can read
                    > all my information in one convenient location.
                    > If people require "web" like stuff, they can go to the yahoo group.

                    True and millions do.
                    But forums are hugely popular.
                    Forums do allow more flexible expression of a group of people and Yahoo
                    Groups is terribly restrictive compared to a real forum of course.

                    Each have their own merits these days.

                    I guess for simple use Yahoo Groups is ok. Though one wonders what'll happen
                    once it's bought over. (Several companies are trying ATM).

                    Me, I come from the BBS days of dialling a local board. So I can appreciate
                    the benefits of having used these old mailing lists and other methods as
                    they developed over the past 30 years.

                    --
                    Stuart Halliday
                    http://mytriops.com/
                    200 Million years in the making...
                  • reddev1l666
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 12, 2008
                      --- In triopsforever@yahoogroups.com, "weebro55" <weebro55@...> wrote:

                      > Well, I understand this email thing and all that but, it seems
                      > unorganized. Is there a forum for triops out there? I am pretty sure I
                      > could find a free site to start one. It would allow organized topics.
                      > I just made this for an example, unless you want to use it.
                      >
                      > http://weebro55.proboards81.com/index.cgi

                      I came across a forum, kinda by accident (I searched a web hosting site
                      to see if triopsforum.com was available and it wasn't, so I headed over
                      for a look)
                      It's not a hive of activity, but i'm sure it could be =)

                      link: http://triopsforum.phpbb3now.com/index.php