Re: [Triops Forever] Newbie Query

  • bobbyvardar
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1 3:37 AM
      I did get my water from Tesco, but it's some spring water from the
      Campsies or something, rather than di-ionised.

      The tank I was using for hatching is just the litre or so one that
      came with the kit, and I've also tried the rest of the "egg mixture"
      in a piece of tupperware.

      I'm now quite sure that I've just got a couple of fairy shrimp and
      some daphnia, but I suspect it's the fault of the kit rather than the
      conditions.

      I'll demand satisfaction from the manufacturers - bit annoying though,
      as I bought the same one for my friend's birthday and I fear it won't
      work for her either.
    • Stuart Halliday
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2 2:42 AM
        I believe bobbyvardar wrote this email section below:

        > I did get my water from Tesco, but it's some spring water from the
        > Campsies or something, rather than di-ionised.
        >
        > The tank I was using for hatching is just the litre or so one that
        > came with the kit, and I've also tried the rest of the "egg mixture"
        > in a piece of tupperware.
        >
        > I'm now quite sure that I've just got a couple of fairy shrimp and
        > some daphnia, but I suspect it's the fault of the kit rather than the
        > conditions.
        >
        > I'll demand satisfaction from the manufacturers - bit annoying though,
        > as I bought the same one for my friend's birthday and I fear it won't
        > work for her either.

        Some bottled water is high in carbonates. Which is why I recommend looking
        at the dry residual reading on the label and go for one which is the lowest.

        I also tend to delay adding the eggs until the detritus has had a couple of
        hours head start. That way there is plenty of infusoria available.

        --
        Stuart Halliday
        http://mytriops.com/
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 6 6:08 AM
          new born triops move in jerky motion,they move for a while stop,
          then move again.

          http://www.alexchiu.com/intelliscript/in.cgi?id=1183212969
        • bobbyvardar
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 6 7:47 AM
            --- In triopsforever@yahoogroups.com, "chucky7chang"
            <chucky7chang@...> wrote:

            > new born triops move in jerky motion,they move for a while stop,
            > then move again.
            >

            > http://www.alexchiu.com/intelliscript/in.cgi?id=1183212969

            Thanks! I have one confirmed sighting now and several microscopic
            possibilites. Over 2 weeks before anything hatched, though!
          • Stuart Halliday
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 6 1:22 PM
              I believe chucky7chang wrote this email section below:

              > new born triops move in jerky motion,they move for a while stop,
              > then move again.
              >
              > http://www.alexchiu.com/intelliscript/in.cgi?id=1183212969
              > <http://www.alexchiu.com/intelliscript/in.cgi?id=1183212969>

              Why the spam link?