RIP

  • Jo Ann
    Message 1 of 2 , May 9, 2006
      Awoke to find 3 of 4 triops dead-including the one with aloe.
      As I hadn't used art sand or calcium yet, I'm inclined to
      place the blame on moving the container closer to the kitchen
      just prior to frying some protein for dinner. i think the slightly
      greasy smoke may have been a big factor since they were all fine prior
      to the move. I'll be sure to exclude this location error in
      future triop rearing.
    • Stuart Halliday
      Message 2 of 2 , May 9, 2006
        I believe Jo Ann wrote this email section below:
        > Awoke to find 3 of 4 triops dead-including the one with aloe.
        > As I hadn't used art sand or calcium yet, I'm inclined to
        > place the blame on moving the container closer to the kitchen
        > just prior to frying some protein for dinner. i think the slightly
        > greasy smoke may have been a big factor since they were all fine prior
        > to the move. I'll be sure to exclude this location error in
        > future triop rearing.

        Oh dear.

        The lack of oxygen getting into the water due to the oil layer wouldn't have
        helped.

        I once put in a piece of packing foam into a internal filter.

        The result 12 hours later - all my Triops were dead.

        A chemist I knew told me packing foam is covered with flame retardant
        chemicals which would have leaked into the water.

        We live and learn.

        --
        Stuart Halliday
        http://mytriops.com/