Re: [Triops Forever] Feeding Triops

  • Stuart Halliday
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2005
      Deborah Meyers wrote:

      >>> I culture and sell online a huge variety of live fish foods and found
      >>> it to be easier to feed them this way.
      >> Go on sell yourself. Tell us your URL. :-)
      >
      > << Aquabid: My Auctions My Username: Malaysiantrumpetsnails
      > http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?disp&viewseller&Malaysiantrumpetsnails

      Ah. Aquabid is still a big unknown in other countries.
      I'd only heard of it myself a few months ago.

      Why not sell on eBay? I would have thought you'd have a bigger audience?

      > Live Fish Foods- Care and Instructions
      > http://community-1.webtv.net/Deborah703/LiveFoodsStuff/
      >
      >> I tried a Google search but didn't find you.
      > << I couldn't find myself on google either. LOL

      Well I did find a couple of mentions of you selling/rescuing fish back in
      2001. If you're the same Deborah Meyers. :-)

      >> Are you on Aquabid or eBay perhaps?
      > << I'm on aquabid
      >>> About 8 weeks ago, I experimented with feeding my young triops walter
      >>> worms which is one of the smallest of the cultures aside from
      >>> vinegar eels which I wouldn't feed to them because of the vinegar.
      >>> Well. they loved them and thrived on them.
      >> Are they like Grindal worms?

      > << Vinegar Eels are a small version of Microworms. They're just raised in
      > a mixture of vinegar, water and a few slices of apple.

      Sorry, bad posting by me. I meant the Walter worms. Vinegar eels I'd heard of.

      After looking up your aquabid auction on Walter worms. I see you call them
      microworms. I've grown microworms. Is Walter another common name for them or
      is it a different species?

      >> Earth Worms are good. But I usually kill them and mash them up a bit
      >> before

      << I would like to try earthworms as well. Someone just sent me
      >> email and mentioned mealworms. I never thought to use those either.

      It's all protein!

      > << I keep java moss in my triop tank, but I thought about using duckweed
      > as well.

      Nah. I don't recommend this. It will cover the surface and cut down oxygen
      getting into the water.

      --
      Stuart Halliday
      http://mytriops.com/
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2005
        > Ah. Aquabid is still a big unknown in other countries.
        > I'd only heard of it myself a few months ago.

        << I prefer to sell in the US, but I have been approached from individuals in other countries and I have sold to many of them as well. In fact, I have a huge order scheduled to be shipped to out of the country next week.

        > Why not sell on eBay? I would have thought you'd have a bigger audience?
        << I will probally try eBay this coming spring.

        > Well I did find a couple of mentions of you selling/rescuing fish back in
        > 2001. If you're the same Deborah Meyers. :-)

        << Yes, that's me. I founded a group for fish rescue back then and housed a lot of unwanted fish and facilitated a means for others to do so online through a yahoo group that I started and later allowed someone else to take over when my schedule wouldn't permit further involvement. I'm not a part of that group anymore, but I am still involved with freshwater fish, triops and live fish foods.

        > After looking up your aquabid auction on Walter worms. I see you call them
        > microworms. I've grown microworms. Is Walter another common name for them or
        > is it a different species?
        << Walter Worms are a smaller- mini version of Microworms.

        > > << I keep java moss in my triop tank, but I thought about using duckweed
        > > as well.
        >
        > Nah. I don't recommend this. It will cover the surface and cut down oxygen
        > getting into the water.

        << Actually, java moss or duckweed (just a tiny bit) would act to remove ammonia and create oxygen and tiny microscopic foods for the triops. As a fish enthusiast and live fish food and critter nut, I would highly recommend it.

        :-)
      • Stuart Halliday
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2005
          Deborah Meyers wrote:

          > << Actually, java moss or duckweed (just a tiny bit) would act to remove
          > ammonia and create oxygen and tiny microscopic foods for the triops. As a
          > fish enthusiast and live fish food and critter nut, I would highly
          > recommend it.

          Yes of course. But the trick is to keep Duckweed down to a safe limit. :-)

          Plenty of other floating plants which don't reproduce so fast.