RE: [Triops Forever] Water

  • Ste Evans
    Message 1 of 19 , May 1, 2003
      -----Original Message-----
      From: evilprofessorvonrodentstein
      [mailto:evilprofessorvonrodentstein@...]
      Sent: 01 May 2003 07:19
      To: triopsforever@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [Triops Forever] Water

      --- In triopsforever@yahoogroups.com, Don Libes <don@l...> wrote:
      > Either one is a bad idea unless you've verified the quality of your
      > rainwater. Most rainfall in the US is too acidic

      Im in the UK and the intructions said that rain water was
      ok, although it could still be too acidic. im gonna hatch dapnia
      first and the intrucions say that the temperature range is "18 to
      21'c" but the tank seems to always be a bit too hot,Will this stop
      them from hatching or will it just make it take longer?

      I used evian ;) worked great :)

    • fblackdragon
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 2 11:40 AM
        OK i have bought another bunch of triop eggs and wondered if i could
        use outside pond water? or rain water which has been in a barrel for
        quite some time? the rain water has got a lot of gnat larvae in it
        and I dont think there is any thing in it that could poison the
        triops. Aslo the gravel for them do you just buy it from any
        ordinary pet shop? And do you have to use a filter or a pipe to pump
        air into the water?

        ok thats enough quesstions to keep you all busy lol
        thanx
        steph
        xox
      • Stuart Halliday
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 2 12:03 PM
          In message <ch7pfp+akoh@...>
          "fblackdragon" <fblackdragon@...> wrote:

          > OK i have bought another bunch of triop eggs and wondered if i could
          > use outside pond water? or rain water which has been in a barrel for
          > quite some time? the rain water has got a lot of gnat larvae in it
          > and I dont think there is any thing in it that could poison the
          > triops.

          Either should be ideal. Lots of live food for the wee darlings.

          > Aslo the gravel for them do you just buy it from any
          > ordinary pet shop?

          You could. You don't _need_ to have anything. Some people use coarse sand.
          Too fine and the sand will cloud the water as the triops burrow for food
          though.

          Just ensure you rinse the sand or gravel thoroughly.

          >And do you have to use a filter or a pipe to pump
          > air into the water?

          You don't need to if the open end of your tank is large.
          You don't need much water. 1 litre is plenty.

          --
          Stuart Halliday
          ZFC HM
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 4 11:48 AM
            --- In triopsforever@yahoogroups.com, Stuart Halliday <stuart@q...>
            wrote:
            > In message <ch7pfp+akoh@e...>
            > "fblackdragon" <fblackdragon@y...> wrote:
            >
            > > OK i have bought another bunch of triop eggs and wondered if i
            could
            > > use outside pond water? or rain water which has been in a barrel
            for
            > > quite some time? the rain water has got a lot of gnat larvae in
            it
            > > and I dont think there is any thing in it that could poison the
            > > triops.
            >
            > Either should be ideal. Lots of live food for the wee darlings.
            >

            > > Aslo the gravel for them do you just buy it from any
            > > ordinary pet shop?
            >
            > You could. You don't _need_ to have anything. Some people use
            coarse sand.
            > Too fine and the sand will cloud the water as the triops burrow
            for food
            > though.
            >
            > Just ensure you rinse the sand or gravel thoroughly.
            >
            > >And do you have to use a filter or a pipe to pump
            > > air into the water?
            >
            > You don't need to if the open end of your tank is large.
            > You don't need much water. 1 litre is plenty.

            Do i need to add the condition bag to the pond water? I have just
            added the eggs 2day without adding the condition bag hope it will be
            on. Also my tank is quite wide and i put a 1250ml (1 1/4 litres) of
            water and it is not very deep but will they be ok?
          • Stuart Halliday
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 4 2:07 PM
              In message <chd2m0+g03v@...>
              "fblackdragon" <fblackdragon@...> wrote:

              > Do i need to add the condition bag to the pond water? I have just
              > added the eggs 2day without adding the condition bag hope it will be
              > on. Also my tank is quite wide and i put a 1250ml (1 1/4 litres) of
              > water and it is not very deep but will they be ok?

              I've no idea what your 'condition bag' is.

              Most Triops are supplied in a bag which contains eggs and dried vegetable
              matter for the baby Triops to feed on. Are yours separate perhaps?

              1 - 1.5 litre of pond water is more than plenty.

              Remember the babys are TINY so lots of water makes it more difficult for
              them to find food as they have to swim more to find it.

              I'd add this bag if it seems to contain vegetable matter. Hopefully the
              Triop babies have had something to fed on during the last two days.

              I'd not make the water very deep. Only 3-4 inches max at first.

              Triops when they get older seem to dislike each others company so if they
              get too crowded they may die off naturally to leave room for others to grow.

              Oh and last point make sure you keep a light on near the tank 24 hours a
              day. It makes more eggs hatch out.

              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 4 3:09 PM
                wrote:
                > In message <chd2m0+g03v@e...>
                > "fblackdragon" <fblackdragon@y...> wrote:
                >
                > > Do i need to add the condition bag to the pond water? I have
                just
                > > added the eggs 2day without adding the condition bag hope it
                will be
                > > on. Also my tank is quite wide and i put a 1250ml (1 1/4 litres)
                of
                > > water and it is not very deep but will they be ok?
                >
                > I've no idea what your 'condition bag' is.
                >
                > Most Triops are supplied in a bag which contains eggs and dried
                vegetable
                > matter for the baby Triops to feed on. Are yours separate perhaps?
                >
                > 1 - 1.5 litre of pond water is more than plenty.
                >
                > Remember the babys are TINY so lots of water makes it more
                difficult for
                > them to find food as they have to swim more to find it.
                >
                > I'd add this bag if it seems to contain vegetable matter.
                Hopefully the
                > Triop babies have had something to fed on during the last two days.
                >

                > I'd not make the water very deep. Only 3-4 inches max at first.
                >
                > Triops when they get older seem to dislike each others company so
                if they
                > get too crowded they may die off naturally to leave room for
                others to grow.

                > Oh and last point make sure you keep a light on near the tank 24
                hours a
                > day. It makes more eggs hatch out.
                >

                > --
                well in my pack i got a little bag that looks like a tea bag and in
                it is what looks like wood but you do not rip it open you just leave
                it...it is meant to put something into the water for the babies but
                i thought do the bags get dropped into ponds in the wild and may it
                be easier to just top up the water if its natural?
              • Lord Matthias
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 4 3:16 PM
                  Obviously, little packets of detrius (the tiny pieces of wood in the
                  teabag)are not dropped into vernal pools where triops hatch in the
                  wild- they already contain detrius naturally. So adding that "tea
                  bag" for your triops is simimulating a more natural environment.
                  Which is why you need to add it for them.
                  -Lord Matthias

                  --- In triopsforever@yahoogroups.com, "fblackdragon"
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 5 8:33 AM
                    In message <chdefl+ogp1@...>
                    "fblackdragon" <fblackdragon@...> wrote:

                    > well in my pack i got a little bag that looks like a tea bag and in
                    > it is what looks like wood but you do not rip it open you just leave
                    > it...it is meant to put something into the water for the babies

                    I've never had a 'tea bag' when I've bought Triops!
                    I suspect they *are* food for the baby Triops. That is small bits of
                    organic material escape from the 'tea bag' for them to feed upon?

                    Perhaps you'd better ask your supplier?

                    > but
                    > i thought do the bags get dropped into ponds in the wild and may it
                    > be easier to just top up the water if its natural?

                    ehh? That sentence does not compute. :-)

                    P.S.
                    Your email client is messing up my quotes as you appear not to have it set
                    to the standard width of 76 characters per line.

                    --
                    Stuart Halliday
                    ZFC HM
                    Please check my email address as I usually mangle it to stop Spam.
                  • kindori_kun
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 11, 2004
                      They say not to use tap water, I will assume they mean city water. We
                      have a private well. And the water only goes through a UV filter and
                      we use salt to make the water softer. Would I be able to use our
                      water? Or should I keep using the store brand bottled water i've been
                      using?
                    • a_doerfel
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 11, 2004
                        Hi everybody,

                        I've been reading your posts for a while - you gave me some good
                        ideas. My first batch of T. longicaudatus is just over 1 week old.
                        I've got six little guys 1/2 - 1 inch in size... I hatched them in
                        conditioned distilled water but now they live in an aquarium with
                        Amquel-treated aged tap water (our tap water contains chloramines).

                        Special thanks for the idea of feeding hard-boiled egg. It worked
                        great when I was gone over the weekend. No cannibalism or rotting
                        food. It was a lot of fun watching them nibble on it, too.

                        I've started a diary with a few pictures
                        (http://quantum-cat.org/hobbies/triops_diary_1).

                        Anke
                      • Blade2479
                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 11, 2004
                          Anke,

                          Did you feed the guys just the egg white, or white and yolk? Also,
                          how much did you put in the aquarium, and how much was left when you
                          got back?

                          Thanks, and glad you like the group. I just joined and there are a
                          lot of nice, knowledgable people on here.

                          --Eric

                          > Hi everybody,
                          >
                          > I've been reading your posts for a while - you gave me some good
                          > ideas. My first batch of T. longicaudatus is just over 1 week old.
                          > I've got six little guys 1/2 - 1 inch in size... I hatched them in
                          > conditioned distilled water but now they live in an aquarium with
                          > Amquel-treated aged tap water (our tap water contains chloramines).
                          >
                          > Special thanks for the idea of feeding hard-boiled egg. It worked
                          > great when I was gone over the weekend. No cannibalism or rotting
                          > food. It was a lot of fun watching them nibble on it, too.
                          >
                          > I've started a diary with a few pictures
                          > (http://quantum-cat.org/hobbies/triops_diary_1).
                          >
                          > Anke
                        • a_doerfel
                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 12, 2004
                            Eric,

                            > Did you feed the guys just the egg white, or white and yolk?
                            Just a small bit of egg white (1 cm). I was afraid they yolk
                            would dissolve too fast. Has anybody here tried egg yolk?

                            > how much did you put in the aquarium, and how much was left when
                            > you got back?
                            It's a 10 Gal aquarium but it's only half full. I lost about 1/4 inch
                            - in lack of any other cover, I had closed the top with cling wrap.
                            (My filter is run by an airpump that draws air from outside the
                            aquarium).

                            Anke
                          • Stuart Halliday
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 12, 2004
                              > They say not to use tap water, I will assume they mean city water. We
                              > have a private well. And the water only goes through a UV filter and
                              > we use salt to make the water softer. Would I be able to use our
                              > water?

                              Don't use salted water as Triops don't like it.

                              You can use your well water as long as you don't add salt to it.

                              But you'll get far better results (more eggs hatching) if you use
                              distilled water at first and then slowly replace 10% of your tanks water
                              with well water daily after you're sure they've all hatched.

                              > Or should I keep using the store brand bottled water I've been
                              > using?

                              Highly mineralised (hard) water will not hatch out Triops.
                              They think the pool of water is old and therefore about to dry up you see.
                              :-)

                              If your bottled water has a large content of minerals (some do, some
                              don't)then it will hinder the hatching of the eggs.

                              Compare the brands of bottled water and buy the one with the lowest
                              mineral content. You can usually do this by comparing the dry weight
                              listed on the label. :-)

                              --
                              Stuart Halliday
                            • Stuart Halliday
                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 12, 2004

                                > Hi everybody,
                                >
                                > I've been reading your posts for a while - you gave me some good
                                > ideas.

                                Ahhh a lurker no more! :-)

                                > Special thanks for the idea of feeding hard-boiled egg. It worked
                                > great when I was gone over the weekend. No cannibalism or rotting
                                > food. It was a lot of fun watching them nibble on it, too.
                                >
                                > I've started a diary with a few pictures
                                > (http://quantum-cat.org/hobbies/triops_diary_1).

                                Lovely pics Anke!

                                How'd you take pics of such small creatures?
                                I tried with my digital camera (5Mpix) and they're just too small in the
                                picture.

                                Do you mind if I link the above page in my new Triops web site -
                                http://mytriops.com/ ?

                                --
                                Stuart Halliday
                              • Blade2479
                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 12, 2004
                                  > Eric,
                                  >
                                  > > Did you feed the guys just the egg white, or white and yolk?
                                  > Just a small bit of egg white (1 cm). I was afraid they yolk
                                  > would dissolve too fast. Has anybody here tried egg yolk?

                                  I've tried the yolk, and it works fine. The water doesn't seem to
                                  dissolve it at all. Now I used scrambled eggs, and not boiled, so
                                  the texture is a little different.

                                  *When I scramble my eggs, I let teh whites cook for awhile like I'm
                                  doing fried eggs, then I break the yolks and stir a little, then let
                                  it cook, stir, cook, stir...I don't beat the white and yolk together
                                  before I cook them, just so you know why there's white and yolk
                                  separate.

                                  One egg has lasted me about a week and a half. I cooked it up, put
                                  half in a little baggie and froze it, and kept the other half in the
                                  fridge. I just threw part of the first half away yesterday because I
                                  was afraid it may be going bad, although it smelled and looked fine.
                                  So I'm on the second half of the egg now (this egg thing is getting
                                  to be quite expensive, lol).

                                  Next time I make an egg for the triops, I'm going to beat it all
                                  together so they get an even amount of the yolk/white everytime. I
                                  think it'll be better, as they will be getting the nutrients from
                                  both.

                                  > > how much did you put in the aquarium, and how much was left when
                                  > > you got back?
                                  > It's a 10 Gal aquarium but it's only half full. I lost about 1/4
                                  inch
                                  > - in lack of any other cover, I had closed the top with cling wrap.
                                  > (My filter is run by an airpump that draws air from outside the
                                  > aquarium).

                                  I meant how much egg did you put in and how much was left when you
                                  got back. No problem, though.

                                  Thanks for the reply.

                                  --Eric
                                • a_doerfel
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 12, 2004
                                    Eric,

                                    How many triops are you feeding, and how old/large are they?

                                    > I've tried the yolk, and it works fine.
                                    Good to know.

                                    > Next time I make an egg for the triops, I'm going to beat it all
                                    > together so they get an even amount of the yolk/white everytime. I
                                    > think it'll be better, as they will be getting the nutrients from
                                    > both.
                                    They must be quite the gourmets by now :) Good point about the
                                    nutrients though.

                                    > I meant how much egg did you put in and how much was left when you
                                    > got back. No problem, though.
                                    Sorry about the confusion... I just put in a corner of 1/8 of an egg -
                                    the rest went into my salad ;). Then the largest of my triops were
                                    only 1 cm (< 1/2 inch). They seem to prefer the other food (the stuff
                                    that came with the kit). Nevertheless, 2 days later the egg was
                                    completely gone. I put another piece of egg white in last night, and
                                    they hardly nibble on it... It seems to be better than cannibalism,
                                    though.

                                    Did you ever try dogfood? I have lots of puppy chow I use for raising
                                    feeder insects.

                                    Anke