Strange carapace deformation

  • danxd1
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2003
      I've got a couple of triops that are a few weeks old, and last
      Friday morning I noticed one of them, now affectionately known
      as Corky, had a bent carapace. At this point I hadn't seen one
      molt, so I thought he was just working out of it. I became more
      suspicious when it was still the same that night. The next day I
      got to see him molt, so I knew it wasn't that (The carapace
      seemed to hinder the molting process, it took all night, but he got
      out).

      I posted some images in the Photos section. Has anyone seen
      anything like this? Does anyone have any idea how a triops
      could do this to himself? When I first saw it I didn't think he'd
      live
      very long, but he seems to be doing alright, although his
      roomate's growth is outpacing him a little bit. Both have lain
      eggs this week.

      Dan
    • Henry
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2003
        That has got to be the strangest thing I have personally ever seen.
        Don't really know what to tell you.
      • emucompboy
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2, 2003
          Wow. That's really extreme! I had a couple of deformed ones
          ("Spike" and "Crumple") which were nowhere near that deformed! I
          thought at the time that my deformed ones were caused by bacterial
          infection early in life that didn't heal quite right.

          --- In triopsforever@yahoogroups.com, "danxd1" <DHyslop@s...> wrote:
          > I've got a couple of triops that are a few weeks old, and last
          > Friday morning I noticed one of them, now affectionately known
          > as Corky, had a bent carapace. At this point I hadn't seen one
          > molt, so I thought he was just working out of it. I became more
          > suspicious when it was still the same that night. The next day I
          > got to see him molt, so I knew it wasn't that (The carapace
          > seemed to hinder the molting process, it took all night, but he got
          > out).
          >
          > I posted some images in the Photos section.
        • Don Libes
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 2, 2003
            Anyone have any pictures of egg sacks? I gather that the little blobs on
            each side of their rear that wiggle furiously all the time are not egg
            sacks - since they appear to be constantly there and never changing in
            size. Am I mistaken? If not, does anyone have a photo that makes the egg
            sacks clearly evident?

            Don